im a human pacifier...

my 6 week old daughter will constantly use me as a pacifier. its not that she needs to eat, she just wants that sucking feeling and she gets it from my boob. she wont take a pacifier, she always gags on them. ive tried all different sizes itty bitty small etc and nothing works.

my nipples get extremely sore from this!
what can i do about it?? its mostly at night time to go to bed, but also throughout the day...

if i dont give it to her she continues to cry and im not one to just sit there and let her cry. i think its cruel..
any ideas?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Letting your baby cry may be excruciating to listen to, but is a vital part of her development. She needs to learn to self sooth. You don't have to completely ignore her, just don't give in all the time. Take baby steps, for a lack of a better expression. Eventually it'll get easier to allow her to work out her self soothing techniques. It's the only way she'll learn, and will be better for it in the long run. This will help her for the rest of her life. Trust me.
    mjb75

Answer by mjb75 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i tlaked to my pediatrician about "self soothing" and she said that isnt something they comprehend and even know how to do until they are WAY older...

thanks for the advice though
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Even though you've tried all sizes, have you tried different types? I LOVE the Mam pacifiers. They're rounded so they can fit in the baby's mouth even accidentally upside down. They're supposed to feel close to mother's breast too. My daughter has used them since she was a few weeks old and she loves them. Don't be afraid to try a few times. It's foreign to them, so their reaction is to spit it out. Give her a few tries to become familiar with it and maybe she will start taking it for you. Oh, you could also try putting a little milk on it and see if she will take it that way.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 11:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Welcome to motherhood. You're either going to have to find something she likes to suck on other than your boob, learn to self soothe, or let her suck on your nipple and stop complaining
    Anonymous

• So she's gaining weight and peeing enough, right? Try burping her more often during feedings and check into gas drops- infants can confuse the two feelings. (heck, I can confuse the two feelings).

You can also try helping her find her thumb, but be prepared, that's a pain to break later.

I found that if I laid my baby down on her belly, she would go to sleep quickly and happily. I would then turn her onto her back when I needed to leave the room.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Try offering the pacifier as soon as you unlatch her, or she unlatches her self. Then she'll still be going with the sucking motion and it might just "trick" her into taking it. Good luck!

Also, look in to getting "Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream" It works so much better than just regular lanolin. It took all my nursing pain away withing a day.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Dont let your baby cry! She is too young, although in my opinion CIO is never necessary. Doctors dont recommend it until 4-6 months though. Your doing the exact right thing. Nursing your baby on demand, at every cry, at every whimper, just so they can suckle for the comfort, is exactly what you should be doing. Your doing GREAT mama! Dont worry, this phase does NOT last forever. Soon enough your baby will find more interest in the world around her and you'll miss having the cuddle time so often.

Keep up the good work!! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Will she suck on your finger or knuckle?? I would try that if she doesn't like the pacifier. Some babies just have a very stong need to suck. Or you could try showing her her own hands and see if she will suck on her fist.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. I was exhausting myself nursing for so long. Eventually she did take a pacifier and my life has been so much better since! Some babies just need to suck. Have you tried letting her suck your little finger? Might be an option. Is she gaining weight, peeing, pooping, etc? (Just to make sure she is in fact eating enough!)
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 12:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• NO SUCH THING as a human pacifer. Pacifiers are rubber mom replacements.

It's normal for her to do this at this age and it's exactly what you want. Lansinoh for the soreness.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2009