does your state have a band on gay for giving blood?

Tonight i learn that my state banded gay from giving blood do you think that is right and is your state the same way?
What do you think of this? i am not that way but i think the judgement of my state went a lil to far..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The reason for that is that there's still probably the stigma that gay people carry AIDS, which we know isn't all true. Anyone can have AIDS. I think if they're going to ban gays from donating then they should ban druggies as well. Make sure people are testing clean...that's more what I'm worried about!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No my state doesn't I'm glad to cause that is just down apauling
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Thats discrimination as far as im concerned. Anyone can have AIDS, not just gays. They should be testing all donated blood for diseases to begin with- so if they did, whats the problem?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What? I don't think ours do. In court CA said it was okay for gay/lesbians to marry but some zealots decided to create a proposition which was passed last voting session essentially overriding the courts. I guess too many people are apathetic or uneducated who go to the polls.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The ban is not on gays....there is a set of questions you have to answer in order to donate blood. The questions include: Have you had anal sex, gotten a tattoo, travelled in certain countries, born in Europe when Mad Cow disease was a major issue?

These questions are not about discrimiation, they are about making the safest blood supply. They do test the blood, but they are trying to prevent blood that has the highest potential of being unsafe from being collected. Whether you are male or female, being the recipient in anal sex is a risky behavior. Lesbians....are not prevented from donating.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ive donated blood and never once have they asked if ive had anal sex. Hmmm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• From my local Blood Bank web-site:

DO NOT DONATE BLOOD IF YOU:
    Have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test
    Have any of the following conditions that can be signs or symptoms of HIV/AIDS:
    Unexplained weight loss or night sweats
    Blue or purple spots in your mouth or skin
    Swollen lymph nodes for more than one month
    White spots or unusual sores in your mouth
    Cough that won't go away or shortness of breath
    Diarrhea that won't go away
    Fever of more than 100.5° F for more than 10 days
    Have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor
    Are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977
    Have ever taken money, drugs, or other payment for sex since 1977
    Have hemophilia or another blood clotting disorder and received clotting factor concentrate
    Have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Have had syphilis or gonorrhea in the past 12 months
    In the last 12 months, have been in juvenile detention, lockup, jail, or prison for more than 72 hours
    Have received a blood transfusion in the United Kingdom or France from 1980 to the present
    Body/ear piercing/acupuncture - can donate if done with a sterile, single use needle/equipment or with a piercing gun using single use studs, otherwise a one year wait
    Corneal transplant - cannot donate
    Dental work
    Crown Placement - can donate
    Crown Work - can donate the next day
    Routine work (teeth cleaning, scaling, tooth filled) - wait until next day
    Root canal/tooth extraction - 3 day wait
    Endoscopy Procedure with a biopsy - 4 month wait after procedure
    Hepatitis exposure - needs evaluation
    Tattoo - can donate after 1 year; no wait for cosmetic tattoos done in physician's office
    Xenotransplant - cannot donate; can donate if received heart valve from animal
    Niki_sd

• It's probably state by state then. Determining that blood is contaminated because of anal sex is essentially banning gay men too.
    anyway, for any women who have anal sex that are trying to do a good deed, I'm sure they would just answer no to that question. who wants the nurse to see yes and then look at you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think you are misunderstanding the process. First off, this is not a state law. This is Red Cross guidelines, imposed by the FDA, that are followed across the country.When donating blood you are asked if you are a male that has had sex with another male, have used IV drugs, lived in certain parts of Africa or have had sex with persons that have done any of the above. This is to screen out those at risk for HIV and a man having homosexual sex is. It is not to discriminate against homosexuals, no one asks you if you are gay. That's just the realitiy of it.
    I cannot donate because I lived in England for a time and I may have "Mad Cow Disease". I haven't even been outside of the U.S. in 16 years, but I am still banned.It's not to discriminate against the English, it's just there is a risk.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2009