Pork Roast

Do you have to brown your roast before sticking it in the crock pot? If so how do you just put oil in the pan and brown all the sides or chicken broth or something?

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 11:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Browning it is better-it increases the flavor complexity. Season it with salt and pepper and rosemary if you have it.

You can use beer or wine instead of chicken broth. I usually cover mine, and toss in onions, garlic and a bay leaf. I like wine better unless I'm making pulled pork out of the roast.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't brown mine. I usually put it in the crock pot with some chicken broth or water. I used to brown it, but I found no real difference in the recipes I use pork roast.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• How much chicken broth?
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I usually put a can minimum in, again depending on the recipe. If I am shredding it for pulled pork sandwiches, I only put a can in. If I am adding potatoes, onions, carrots like a pot roast, I cover the roast. Usually the steam from the crock pot will keep the meat moist.

Adding wine sounds interesting..I think I may have to try that next time I make a pork roast.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I marinate in Italian Dressing & bake it. It's really moist.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm a pork roast fanatic. I tell you right now, DON'T PUT LIQUID IN YOUR CROCKPOT! It will make it VERY moist & wet, but it will be nothing like a pork roast that you can get anywhere else. cover your pork roast in liquid smoke (in you like it) then rub it all over w/ a dry rub. Can be as simple as salt/pepper/paprika/garlic powder. The roast will make it's own juices, there is no need for water in there. I personally think it ruins Pork Roasts, they taste much better without the water in there. You can sear if you want, there is controversy on the issue. Some believe it helps seal the juices, others believe that's a crock..lol. My favorite way to make a roast is to put it directly in the oven@ 225 in a dish that can carry the liquid that will run out, & let it sit ALL day. You can do the same with a crock pot, it's just a lil clay oven. But remember NO LIQUID.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• when i said cover in liquid smoke, i meant to just pout it over it as a seasoning before it goes in the crock pot. I did not mean to let it sit in a bunch of liquid smoke & cook in it...haha, that would be gross.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2009