Pre-school what age

What age do you put your child in pre-school I wasnt considering it but I think my dd could benifit because she needs to be around kids? In my town they have a class for 2 year olds and my dd will be 3 in september but she wont be able to start kindergarden till shes almost 6 her b-day is just past the end date to get her in I dont know if I should wait since she cant start till shes almost 6 or what? And is there a way to get around the age problem? I dont think its fair that she has to be a year behind I was and it really sucked but I was 3 months behind the end date and she'll be just weeks.

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 11:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids started at about 3 for the same reasons. I was a SAHM but I did/do not have any friends, so they had no interaction with other kids. They loved it, and were totally ready for school when it came time both mentally and socially. My youngest son and I both missed the cut off date to start school on time. it is not that big a deal honestly if they are in preschool first.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my daughter started when she was 3 as well..because i have absolutely no friends, and dont know anyone with any kids..so..i did it all for the social aspect of it..she only went 2 days a week for 2.5 hours..now shes in the 4 yr old program and she goes 3 days a week for 2.5 hrs..she looooves it!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son started just before he turned three because the neurologist recommended it. Otherwise, I think he would have waited until he was the right age to start the school district's UPK program.

He's going to be a year behind, too. My youngest two will be in the same grade. One was born three weeks before the cut off, the one three weeks after (one will turn five in November, the other will turn 6 in December...our cut off is December 1)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I started my boys in pre-school at 3 and then they went to Pre-K at 4. They loved it! I am so glad that I did it and I will do it again with my 3rd-due in August.
    amybuddy45

Answer by amybuddy45 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• All my kids started pre-school at 2 1/2 , 3 years old. My DD also missed the cut off and I hated it but now it seems to work good for her. I always thought she was ahead but that she's in 2nd grade, I think she's right where she should be.
    dcoscia3

Answer by dcoscia3 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 4 year old is now going to a preschool that takes kids as young as 18 months (for the social interaction). I will be starting my 22 month old there in the fall. I am a STAH mom and my kids don't have any chance to play with other kids so I don't want them to go to kindergarten with any social skills. My 4 year old loves it!
    joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 10:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am really irrated with the school system in the small town that i live in- it cost 60 a month to put one kid in pre school and they only take them 2 x's a week for a 2 1/2 hours- and since my son don't meet the age limit by 3 months he would have to go 2 years of pre-school if i put him in now- I think they should have a differant way of telling when children should be in school cause i can hardly keep up with him and he needs school and friends
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 11:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didnt read the other answers, but I say since shes going to be an older kindy student, I would do the prek program that the state offers at about 5. If shes fairly mature, then the 4 yr old program might be good. I don't feel a child needs to be in preschool before that unless your doing the 2 day a week for a few hrs. Thats not really preschool. Thats more like mothers morning out. I know what you mean about the age cutoff. They have to cut it off somewhere though. If you do public school, then NO there are no exceptions. If you do private school, you might could get around it ONLY if the school is not accredited. If you put her there for kindergarten and first grade and maybe 2nd, then when you transfer over to public school, they won't hold her back. My dd's birthday is sept 23 and shes with the older kids. She will be 15 in sept but will have already started the 10th grade. Shes the youngest in her class.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My DD just turned 3 in Jan and she will go to pre-school in the fall, but she is also advanced for her age.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't think of her starting kindergarten at that age as being "a year behind"; try to think of it as a benifit. I was just two weeks from the cut off date as well (started in September, turned 6 in October), and so I was always the oldest in my class. But really, it helps to have that advantage. I always had high grades and caught on to concepts quickly, and I think being a little bit older than the other kids helped with that.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2009