Is there a certain age requirment for riding bicycles?

At what age do kids learn to ride bikes at? We have a soon to be 6 yr old stepson and I just had the idea to buy him a bike w/ helmet etc.. for his b-day. His mom (my husband's ex wife) said he loves the outdoors and he's starting to get into sports but the problem w/ that one is the fact that he's the only child and doesn't have a lot of playmates to play sports w/ him so that one is out the window. He is a HUGE transformers freak but he has like every toy out there, so I was thinking this would be a good idea.. let me know if it's too early.. I was thinking training wheels first obviously.

armywife4ever08

Asked by armywife4ever08 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we got our kids their first real bike around that age. Mine were not that interested until now (9 and 8yo) but they had fun as long as I went places with them vs. them just riding around the driveway and sidewalk in front of our house, and grandmas house.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think six is fine. Try it with training wheels like you said, he'll let them know when he wants them off. I had a six year old boy and a three year old boy. When the six year old started riding without the training wheels, the three year old wanted his off too. We let him try it, and he rode it right away. It all depends on the kid.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 2 year old has a tricycle, and my older two (3 and 5 years) have bikes with training wheels.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son was 2 when he got his first one.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My children 3 and 5 have had bicycles for YEARS. My 3 is about ready for no traning wheels, the 5 year old needs more time. I think its an AWESOME idea.
    Also out there are scooters (my son prefers it to the bike, which is why lil sis will be on two wheels first -- LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2009