Another Tithe Question! Thanks for the responses.

my husband doesnt really agree in tithing 10 percent. we give about 80 a month and he doesnt feel we should give more. mind you he hasnt known the lord as long and i dont feel he carries the same relationship i have with God. i want to give more and i do a consignment sale that i decied i would give all the money i earn to the church fron that since im a stay at home mom. God says to obey your husband and i dont want to sneak money. What do i do? I Always feel bad that we dont give more. Im trying to give what i can but i never feel its good enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am baptist and have never really understood tithing. I am not sure if this is something baptist are "supposed" to do or not, but I can't imagine if I were to give 10 % of my income away. That would put a huge (for me) dent in things, the food budget, etc. I am not selfish about church, or giving to those in need, but God's purpose for me is to provide as well as I can for my family and giving $400 a month to the church would hurt alot financially. I see your husband's point $80 a month is alot. Tell him what you want to do with your sale money, he may support you.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It isn't about how much you give but that you obey His Word. There is a reason to tithe but you must be freely give out of the abundance of the heart. Your husband may be young in the Lord so teach him what it means to tithe. Study the word and see what happens when you tithe. Let it be a learning time for both of you! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I do not agree with tithing at all. I think you love God thru your actions and words and your heart, not your money. If the church needs money, then maybe they need to think of another way to get it besides guilting and condemming its members into giving themmore. I am not saying you cannot help support yopur church, but to promise a set amount of money from each check is insane to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• IMO, you have to follow your husbands wishes, unless you see it as money you earned, and pray that the Lord will work on his heart.

hdb

Answer by hdb at 8:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I agree with anon 2:59, a lot of churches guilt you into tithing. God is not going to love you any less if you don't give all your hard earned money to the church.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Giving money to the church is not about earning God's love. It's more about trusting Him to take care of you while you take care of others. God has given you and your husband the skills to do your jobs so you're just giving back what isn't really yours. That's my take on it! He's blessed you!! He doesn't want to see you suffer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You can tithe with your time also. God doesnt want you to have strife in your marriage. If this is causing some, then maybe just let it go, pray that your husband will come around and have faith that God will work on his heart. If you (or your husband) are giving out of obligation only, then the point is missed completely. Volunteer to work in the cancer ward at your local hospital, donate time to your neighborhood food bank, there are lots of ways to tithe. Be creative, your hubby may see this and it could be a start to something great! Dont beat yourself (or hubby) up over this. Just pray and seek Gods guidance. Things will work out. Praying for u!

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I've said this before, but tithing doesn't always have to be monetary. Just donating to God's glory is a way of tithing - singing in the church choir, donating clothes to a hospice thrift store or women's shelter, donating food to a food bank, donating your time to a soup kitchen . . . all of those, when done for the right purpose, are part of tithing. I neither go to church nor can we actually afford 10% of our actual income, but I give to charity every month and donate food and clothes to our local food bank and shelters. Remember, it's not about GETTING a blessing it's about GIVING the blessing and BEING the blessing.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• your husband 'not knowing God as long' doesn;t give you any special rights to do what you want despite what your husband says. The Bible doesn;t say "Respect your husband only if he has known Good longer than you"

If you are earning the money yourself- you should be able to give as much of to God as you want. Has your husband told you not to give the money you have earned yourself? Have you told him about your desire to give the money you earn?

Maybe God has laid it on your heart to gibe something else- besides money - like time or friendship or mentoring- and that is why you do not feel you atre giving enough.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm in sort of the same situation. I'm a SAHM and DH only wants to give $20 a week. I want to tithe to show I trust the Lord, but DH isn't quite there with me yet. So I give what he says to and we agreed that if I make any money on my own I can tithe from that. You could ask him if its ok if you tithe from your own earnings.
    Anonymous