How can I know when my cycle starts when I spot for many days leading up to it?

I used to chart my cycles for natural family planning, using cervical mucous, basal body temp, etc... I am not sure how to know where things are at now. I am still up a couple of times a night with my 1 year old (so can't take basal temp) and I start spotting 4-8 days before my period starts. There seems to be a day when it becomes heavier, and I have been using that as my 'day one', but should I be starting to count some of those earlier days? I have concieved twice and both were around day ten (that standard 'ovulation occurs on day 14' isn't always true). Anyone more familiar with this than I am? With this much spotting, could it affect me getting pregnant again? Just not sure what all the breakthrough bleeding is from--and can't retest hormones until I am no longer breastfeeding. Thanks!

sunfish21

Asked by sunfish21 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You should count the first day of a full flow as the first day of your cycle. I have the same issue with spotting.
    I would just BD every other day, since you don't know exactly when you ovulate (and can only speculate). Good luck, and baby dust!
    Cymbeline

Answer by Cymbeline at 10:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2009