I know this is bad....but i have a 20 month old son that still sleeps in the same bed as me...i was wondering if anyone has any advice to help me get him to sleep on his own

randompanda

Asked by randompanda at 1:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First. This is NOT bad. The only ting that;'s bad is if you beat him before putting him to bed.

Allow me to refer you to The o Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. There's a toddler edition that will help you.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ITS NOT THAT BAD.
    TO GET HIM TO SLEEP ALONE WILL TAKE
    A FEW NIGHTS.. OKAY A LOT OF NIGHTS
    OF CRYING HIMSELF TO SLEEP. WHICH
    THERE ISNT ANYTHING WRONG WITH.
    ITS THE ONLY WAY HE'LL GET USED TO
    IT.
    AND DONT GIVE IN BECAUSE THAN HE'LL
    KNOW AFTER TWENTY MINUTES OF CRYING
    THAT MOMMY IS COMING.
    YOU HAVE TO BE PERSISTANT.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 1:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Can't help ya sweetie! My 22 month old dd is still sleeping with me!!
    heatherbug82

Answer by heatherbug82 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• There are much worse things you could do as a mother! In fact, studies find that babies who sleep in the same bed as their parents have a lower incidence of SIDS. That being said, be careful of blankets and pillows, as those can smother a baby.

If you wan't to move him over to his own bed, make a big, exciting production out of it. "yay, you get to pick out new sheets for your very own big boy bed." The first few nights he won't be happy about it, just keep putting him back in that bed when he gets up.  You help by starting new comforting night time routines like taking a bath, getting a bear, and reading a book together in bed before he sleeps.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I wish I could help you out here, but my 5 yr old twins sleep with their dad and my daughter sleeps with me in her room. Thankfully, we both have decided with our upcoming move, that we will be putting the kids in their rooms at night, as the boys will be starting kindergarten this fall and they need a scheduled bedtime in their own bed.

Co-sleeping/family beds aren't that uncommon, so there's nothing wrong with your child sleeping with you. I'm not really a big fan to be honest, but it is what it is. Just letting you know it's nothing bad for your twenty month old to be sleeping with you.

You can sleep the first night near/in his bed. The second night, lay on the floor or sit in a chair until he falls asleep, after a few nights you should be able to wean your way out of the room. Be sure to read a book, or have some routine to let him know it's time to wind down and go to sleep.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• that's not bad...well it is if YOU can't sleep! LOL! my son slept with me till he was almost five! with my 4 year old, when he was about 3, i just got him a toddler bed, read his fav books and fell asleep with him the first couple of nights. after about the second night, read his fav books, sat on a stool at the doorway (so he was able to see me) of his room till he fell asleep. did that for about a 3 days straight. after that worked out, i told him what a big boy he is and how proud i was of how he can sleep in his own bed like his big brother (they always agree!), read his fav books, kissed him good night and told him i would be in my bedroom close by if he needed me. if he did get up, i'd get him what he needed and walk him back to his room and reiterate the big boy stuff... he didn't make much of a fuss as long as he knew i was there if he needed me. sometimes he'd regress but this pretty much worked.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2009