Can I take my 17 year old friends to the clinic to get STD tests and birthcontrol in Colorado without parental consent?

I am not sure what the laws are regarding this issue here in Colorado. I googled it, but wasn't able to find anything relevant. These girls are uninformed and their mothers refuse to admit that their children need this type of intervention and help. One of them has had multiple partner unprotected within days of each other and the other has had about 4 partners in 1 year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the "underage" issue comes with wanting an abortion. If you're just taking them to a health clinic for an GYN exam and for the girls to discuss their safe sex/STD prevention options, then the girls (with your prodding) SHOULD want to do it for themselves. Just because their mothers don't show an interest/concern about their behaviors, doesn't mean the girls shouldn't care about themselves.

Maybe you could pick up some pamphlets on pregnancy/STDs, and discuss them together. Maybe talking about the brochures will convince THEM to go to the clinic THEMSELVES--you know teaching them to take a PROACTIVE approach--which comes with making adult decisions!

There is only so much you can do. While you care about your friends, they are the ones making decisions that can/will impact their lives FOREVER. Remind them that a moment of immediate gratification could take them down a road they neither wanted nor are prepared for!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I believe you can take them down to the Health Department for both of those things. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You mean like take them there and drop them off? I don't see why not. You may be opening up a can of worms if you actually go in with them. I'd encourage them to make an appointment and then give them a ride. That's as far as I'd go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• OP here

That is where I was hoping to take them. I just wasn't sure since they were minors if they would need their parents or if they could go without their parents. And if the clinic would call their parents about the visit or anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ok. I tried. Really I tried to pass up this question. Can I just ask you...why are you taking them?? Did it ever occur to you to tell them to trust their parents? To talk to their parents? To ask for help? YOU are not thier mom. You have NO idea of thier medical history or needs. Sex and fear aside there can be many issues here.
    I have been preaching to my kids, NO MATTER WHAT... COME TO ME. Please don't put a wedge between parent and child. Encourage them to seek help from thier moms and dads.
    As for your question, call the clinic tomorrow to find out.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• "That is where I was hoping to take them. I just wasn't sure since they were minors if they would need their parents or if they could go without their parents. And if the clinic would call their parents about the visit or anything."

Worst thing that could happen is that theyll be turned away.. might as well try.

and to SusieD- not all parents are as understanding as you, unfortunatly... :(
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• True. But most parents DO want what is best for thier kids. What kids think is best is not really what is best. (Clear?? No...)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• OP here

One of them doesn't really have a mother anymore. She kind of comes around when she wants to. She drops off money for them and they have an uncle that comes and checks on them every day.

The other one I actually work with her mother. The girl has told her mother that she slept with her boyfriend, about 5 months ago. Her mother told me she couldn't believe that her daughter would lie about something like that and if her daughter was having sex she would know about it.

The latter mother really has the best of intentions, she is just really naive about it all. But I think she is more in denial since she had her daughter young, she was hoping her daughter wouldn't follow in her footsteps. I suggested that she get her on birth control or something just to be safe at this point, and she said that there was no need for that at all. Ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• yes. You can. Read below.

http://www.sexetc.org/state/CO/#bc

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i would atleast try.. then go to the moms and tell them they need to have a reality check and take control before they get pregnant or catch something
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2009