• In the Spotlight:

What did you have to "give up" after having children? Do you miss it?

As moms we sacrifice a lot of "ourselves" in order to be there for our spouse/children. I am a very creative person and I enjoy writing. In the past, I have written plays and had them produced. I have also performed in some local Theater projects. I have a degree in Theater and performing/writing is my passion. As a wife and mother of two small children, I have found it difficult to juggle my duties and my passion....I really miss being creative and am hoping that I'll be able to do it again....What did you have to give up? Do you miss it?

actress

Asked by actress at 3:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think we all give up crative stuff like this, mine was singing. We give up that part of ourselves more easily I think because we are taught to, that we need to stop"dreaming" and live in the real world. I want to know why the real world cant involve both. If it is truly a passion, then you find a way to juggle both...that being said i am set to go into a recording studio 2 months after my son is born, and my other child is 14. :o) keep the faith ladies, it is possible to follow YOUR dreams while suppoorting others. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm with you! I was a stage manager. I did over two dozen shows before I graduated from high school. I was planning to get my BA in Theatre Education, BUT I got pregnant right before graduation, so I ended up changing my major to English (I will get my masters in Education). I did a show while I was pregnant, and one when my daughter was about 6 months old. I haven't done a show since, and I miss it so much.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I gave up painting and drawing, but im still able to sew and crochet. i cant play my classical guitar anymore (that makes me very sad) I want to go to school and get a degree in music. But it was worth it. i love my kids and I will have plenty of time for those things after they are grown.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I gave up and lost MOST of myself, I am sad about that. I am divorced so I am devoted to my son but, I have so much talent and I am a smart woman, but when you don't have anyone behind you , you get sucked into an everyday monotony.

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I really can't think of anything that I have given up. Instead I found the greatest love of all..my son
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I gave up drinking and partying. not a sacrafice at all!!!!!!!
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I actually grew more as a person as I had children and they grew.
    I relearned how to sew and made them beautiful dresses, which eventually turned into a career of making dance recital costumes for little girls at a dance theater one of my daughters danced at and I was their seamstress for several years so that the rest of the dancers could bring their bought costumes to me for alterations.
    I took up cross stitching, needlepoint, and crocheting - all of which I passed on to my 3 daughters, as well as sewing.
    I did their preschooling at home so that they were well-prepared for kindergarten and I supplemented home schooling during the summers by incorporating fun activities as learning lessons.
    I would have to say that I didn't give up anything of myself as I had children, but that I grew and became more enriched with each child. ♥♥♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• smoking and drinking. I don't miss it. He's definately worth it.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 5:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sleep.LOL. No, I can't think of anything I gave up. Having kids was my main interest anyway.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I gave up attention. For myself. I really am into getting attention. When my son was born the attention shifted to him. I took it hard. I deal with it better now but I didn't when he was first born.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009