hmm.. do u think this is true?

my son is really hyper.. im thinking because his dad was like that as a kid. but someone told me never to put him on adderol or ridilin or anything like that but to just keep him busy with sports. could this work? my son's only 2 so it's gonna be a while until then, but i've just been thinking.

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 4:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it sounds legit.. letting out all of his energy with a sport instead of not.. you know? it sound legit and like a good idea
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• its always better to do things the none medicine way..its healthier. I think you can still get him in a sport now...take him to the park and start teaching him soccer or baseball. It will probably help with his self esteem too because he will have something that is for him to do that he will be good at.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I know of a couple of boys who were put on medication for being hyper when they were little... they were average size. But once the medication calmed them down, they didn't want to do anything but sat inside....and now they are obese... may not happen with your son...but you may want to check on the probabilities of long term side effects.. they are no longer on the meds, but they cannot shed the weight... its not even about looks...its about health...
    girlie460

Answer by girlie460 at 4:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If your son is eventually diagnosed with ADHD, it will be your choice to put him on medication or not. "Keeping them busy" works for some, but not others. It depends on the severity. I've known kids who NEEDED the medication, my aunt works with special needs kids and has worked with some who's parents refused medication and the kids couldn't go anywhere in school because ADHD was so in control of their lives they couldn't function.

Some kids respond to diet changes (my son happens to calm down if he eats sugar, but I sure as heck am not going to keep feeding it to him), some respond to therapy (OT), some respond to being "kept busy and burning off energy"...but others do need medication to help them function in school, at home and in society.

I say to never jump right to medication...but don't rule it out as a last resort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Especially at 2 years old, I'd just say keep him busy. My son is 2 and some days I think the only thing keeping him off the ceiling is gravity! When he gets older, if he has trouble in school then it maybe something to consider but for now, lots of activities!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 5:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You can not diagnose a 2 year old with ADD or ADHD. My daughter is extremely hyper and I am pretty sure it's a normal thing.

IF he eventually does get diagnosed (this is over diagnosed so be careful with any doctor whose quick to diagnose) then try natural methods first before medication. I worked in a health food store and saw wonderful things done with diet changes, even on children with autism! It's always good to explore all options.

As for right now, look into YMCA's or other activities for him if you want to. Go to the park. My daughter can run around for a couple hours at a park and she just feels better, and sleep better haha!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If you want something for your son to do in the mean time, I take my 2 year old to a gymnastics class. My daughter loves it, at this age they are just trying to teach they basic balance and jumping. They put them on a trampoline and let them jump then they have them do some climbing. This might help for right now at this age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my 2 yr old DD is extremely hyper, and i found taking her outside and playing and letting her work off all her energy works pretty good. If there's a day i don't let her outside for a few hours, there will be heck to pay from all that built up energy in her system later that night.
    hotlilmama2007

Answer by hotlilmama2007 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• he is a typical two year old!!!! Do NOT PUT THAT KID ON any ADD or ADHA med!! THis kills me!! I use to hav to take that mess in school, (elem, middle, and high) I took it apon myself in high school to stop taking it, i did just fine and felt 10xs better, i got made fun of in elem and middle for taking it. I played sports year round and sometime 2 sports at the same time. and YES keeping kids bussy and interested in things helped me. BUT I WILL NEVER put my children on anything like that only because i knw and have felt the side effects, and i do not care what drs say. kids will be kids and MY mom used the meds as a fall back instead of busting my butt and making me mind!! sorry if this sounds mean but i just feel this strong about it, but this is your child and you are not a bad mom if you choose to go this route, but please try other things FIRST> from 1 mom 2 another i ask of you.
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Being hyper at the age of 2 is quite normal, I wouldn't try putting him on meds. just yet, He is a little too young and meds like that will bog him down and make him not want to do anything, Try letting him run his energy out some other way. Playing ball, running around outside, try to do a daily activity with him everyday that will keep him busy. It may not be ADD or ADHD--He is kinda too young for that right yet, and the doctors aren't going to give him a diagnosis early at this age anyway. My son is 2 and is hyper as can be, But alot of the times he is just being a normal 2 year old. Take him swimming or do some type of strenuous activity with him daily so he can focus his energy on something he can also learn from and enjoy. Have an awesome day :-)
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009