i was told holoprosencephaly was 1 in a million wot are my chances of having another baby with the same defect.

jackiexxx

Asked by jackiexxx at 5:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it was a one in a million chance, I wouldn't imagine it happening again... unless it is hereditary... I'm looking it up now.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I found this:

The cause of HPE is currently unknown. Often, no specific cause can be identified. Suggested risk factors include maternal diabetes, infections during pregnancy (syphilis, toxoplasmosis, rubella, herpes, cytomegalovirus), and various drugs taken during pregnancy (alcohol, aspirin, lithium, thorazine, anticonvulsants, hormones, retinoic acid). Women with previous pregnancy loss and first trimester bleeding are also more likely to have a child diagnosed with HPE.

Although many children with HPE have normal chromosomes, specific chromosomal abnormalities have been identified in some patients. There is evidence that in some families, HPE is inherited (autosomal dominant as well as autosomal or X-linked recessive inheritance).

Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It depends on if is genetic or not. My baby girl passed away from HPE in May of 2008. We had genetic testing done on both her and my husband and I and found out that I am a carrier and passed it on to her. Every child we have has a 50% chance of carrying the HPE gene. However, not all cases of HPE are genetic. I belong to a group on yahoo for HPE and some of those cases happened just randomly. In that situation, then your chances of having another HPE child are very very low.

If you have/had a child with HPE already, did you not meet with a genetic counselor to discuss all this? I would highly recommend that...

PM me if you want to discuss anything more! :)
    natesmommy06

Answer by natesmommy06 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2009