He won't go to church

I have been married to my dh for 17 years. We recently moved back to our home town (last April). I take the kids to church as often as I can, but dh will not go with us. I even quit asking, because he was getting tired of hearing it. He says they are all a bunch of hypocrites. WHat would you do if your dh refused to go to church with you?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 6:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• go without him and pray without ceasing for him.

Have you read the book "The Power of a Praying Wife"- I think that is the title. It's a good template for how to pray for your husband.

author is Stormie O'martian
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i wanna go to church and hubby says he will but when it comes down to it he wont go. Men have way different views then women. Ask him if he thinks your a hypocrite he thinks they are you must be too?! I think he is confused maybe he feels stupid for singing and praising? Try talking to him? GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• A lot of men think that the whole "LOVE" thing is weird. Guys were brought up to be "macho" and I guess loving a guy, or two (Jesus AND God) isn't very manly. Especially if you've never met the guy(s) in person and have to depend on faith to "see" them. My dad was/is the same way. I'm scared for him. I don't have any more advice and I don't know how to help you to get him to go. My husband goes with me, but he wants to. Good luck though.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 7:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I know he believes the same as I do, he just worships differently, like Kaytlyn's mom I am afraid for him, but I try to tell myself that Jesus only cares that he believes.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 7:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would go to church anyway. The Bible tells us to live a life as a Godly woman, to live as an example to him. He will want what you have. Don't give up on him.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 7:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Go without him. I do it all the time, usually with four kids in tow. I wish my hubby would come with me, too but there's no point in forcing him.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Go without him, my husband has tried to get me to go to church but he knows I don't believe in organized religion so he doesn't press the issue any more.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Id go without him.
    You cant force stuff like that on anyone. If you try it will just lead to issues and, to me, it wouldnt be worth it.
    One of those things that we must each come to when we feel ready. If we never do...oh well. Not like there isnt a relationship with the divine there, dont need a church building to have one..kwim?

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Go without him and pray for him. I do this as well. I get up, get my kids ready and we go to church and leave my husband at home. He has only come with me to church a handful of times. Mst when we were still dating. Since we got married, he's come to church maybe 4 times, in 10 years. I just go on without him. But I am always praying for him.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Seeing as how I and DH don't go to church at all, I wouldn't be offended in the least. I have been to a LOT of churches, and I have felt that they all have hindered my relationship with Christ rather than strengthening it. And I have to agree with your DH - they are all (from my personal experiences) a bunch of hypocrites.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009