Transitioning to a new room

My daughter is getting her room upstairs soon. She's weird about sleeping by herself and she's scared of being alone and the dark. She'll be upstairs by herself, (and the dog if we can get the dog to stay up there with her)... does anyone have any tips on how to get her to be okay with this and sleep up there by herself. I plan on spending a night up there with her, but I don't know if I should leave after she falls asleep. Any advice would be helpful. By the way, she's 3 years old. Almost 3 1/2. Thanks.

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 6:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you start out by sleeping up there with her, she's going to expect that every night and it's going to be all that much harder to get her to sleep by herself.

Give her a special bedtime friend who keeps anything bad away. Don't tell her that's what it's for unless SHE becomes scared. You don't wan to plant a fear. Keep to her normal routine and just put her to bed in her new room.

If she still naps, have her first sleep be her nap in the room (not as dark).

Build it up a bit about how cool it's going to be to have a new room. Let her pick out where things go or a special poster for the wall...something to personalize it for her, BY her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my 15month old has a puppy stuffed animal. I tell him that its very special puppy. He calls him pup pup. I tell him that pup pup will bark away ANY bad things that might scare him and he believes it all. Maybe try something like this!!! Night light, maybe a t.v. with a friendly cartoon, get a baby monitor so you can hear her too if she gets scared and cries for you! let her know they are walkie talkies and if she need syou she can just call you through it!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm in the same situation, my 4yr. old will soon be moving to a room futher away from me. Her poodle recently deid though an Im not wanting to train anouther now. So Ive been trying to think of something to, An she just got a New all-in-one baby rocker chair, tabel for her baby dolls. It is kinda big but she can move it and puts it right by her bed to take care of her baby dolls. It has changed her routine(for now) so far and I'm realy hoping it will still be usefull when we are making the transition. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009