Should I File It Stolen and Press charges?

My Step son came up this weekend. He does once in a while to visit. Anyway, while he was here he stole my sons rare gold DS Lite. I know it was him because he was the only visiter we had all weekend and we did not go anywhere for our other son to loose it or leave it in one of the cars. I still have the seriel number of the DS, and was wondering if we should report it as stolen and file charges against him? This isn't the first time he has stolen from us. As a matter of fact it is everytime he is up here!! I have had to replace 2 DS's because of him and numerous amounts of money. I actually have to hide my purse when he comes up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• He's 19, he's not a child anymore. If he hasn't learned by now that there are consequenses for actions, it's time he did learn. I would absolutely turn him in. A judge will go a lot easier on a 19 year old who steals from family than he will down the road on a 26 year old who steals something really valuable from a stranger. He probably won't spend the night in jail, but if he does, so what? Maybe it will be the stop-check he needs to reassess where he is taking his life.
    (I must be having brain spasms today--what's a DS?)
    Anonymous

• Soon it will be the final time and he needs help! I would at least see if you can have them ask him and look for your property! Maybe you could do it without filing charges the first time, I dont know how the system wks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Are you kidding? That sounds a little harsh. Have you tallked with his father about this? I cant believe his dad would be okay with this. First wouldnt you feel bad if you end up finding the ds? Has his father bought him a ds maybe he is jealous or feels unwelcome at your home. YOu could report it lol but unless you can prove it they will not file charges. Maybe your dh should look into some family therapy to get to the issue of theft. Like I said he could be going through something. Instead of getting him charged.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• stop havin him come up or have a talk with his dad! I would talk to him first then go from there as far as your actions on what to do about it. See if he is willing to work off the amount he stole
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You can report it stolen but if you don't have proof that he took it there is nothing else you do but report it stolen. You just saying I know he did because he was the only on there is not proof.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• you know this might sound wrong but you could set him up. And set up a camera to catch him and once he gets caught and knows he was caught by a camera, he might think twice. My parnts did this to my step brother, they knew someone was goin in their room but dint know who considering they had 3 kids living with them. His girlfriend was living with us too, and one mothers day we came home to havin to go to my aunts because my uncle was comin to confront him. There was my moms engagemnnt ring from my dad stolen and several expensive other things that had alot of money value and mental value. You dont want it to escalade to this. Just my opinion, been there done that. That women even stole clothes from my bedroom and i went into their room one night to look for my clothes and what i found was absolutely disgusting, cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• wash cloths, toilet paper,towels(thy wer getting things of our together so they didnt have to buy their own wen they movedout) several pairs of my new jeans, shirts, dresses.... i had previously askd her about the clothing and she denied it.... but they were caught
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• set the kid up instead of get him the help he needs lovley...
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• okmommy it is not too harsh. my stepson used to do the same thing. everytime he was around something would come up missing. even down to our food it was crazy. and i was the same he would steal money out of my purse i had to hide everything if i knew he was comin. his dad finally threatened to call the cops and he hasnt been back thank god. i feel for you OP do what you feeel is right he needs to learn a lesson some how. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• okmommy he doesnt need help he needs his ass beat.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2009