How can I travel on a plane with a baby with out alot of stress?

I am going from PA to South Dakota in july on 2 planes with a 2 hour layover, and then the next day driving to Mount Rushmore a 6 hour drive from a relatives house. My husband insists we do vacations like before baby came. He will be 1 in June. I am nervous about trip. He does not help much, he is 47 an older Dad- 1st time Dad & set in his ways. I will be doing all chilcare and I need advice to make it easier for me and baby traveling. Thank you.

pamom222

Asked by pamom222 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Travel

• Don't stress out too much, baby will sense that. Extra snacks,extra toys,books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• maybe a lil tylenol....always helped my baby sleep on the plane. Also, he may be young, but a portable dvd player did wonders for my child as well on planes, or any long ride for that matter.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• When I travel with my DD now 7 I would take a backpack with special little gifts for her to open along the way. Usually little things she could play with on the plane, such as, at the dollar store they have these tablets with a roll of paper attached with crayons, books, a special doll, I would wrap them and every hour or so, depending on the flight time, I would let her choose another one to open. Also took special doll or blanket that made her comfortable, extra snacks in case of delays. As with samurai chica I bought a portable DVD player and brought movies, with earphones for her to watch. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    LenasMom27

Answer by LenasMom27 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I travel all the time with my kids and never slowed down when they were infants, we don't travel much by plane but we drive everywhere. Make sure you take extra snacks and drinks when you are in the car. We have never bought a portable DVD player but we have used them, they do work for older kids and might work for a 1 year old. I have taken new cheap toys with me, and have found that kids love glow sticks! I try to buy things that light up so they entertain the little ones for awhile. I would also suggest you sit in the back seat some with baby so you can entertain him, switch out with your hubby if possible so baby doesn't get to bored with you. Stop often to let baby stretch. I have more so if you need more advice pm me.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Keep a good mindset. Planes are PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION so ignore the nasty stares. We were all once children, so again, when you feel your blood pressure rising, remember this. Otherwise, hopefully baby will sleep a bit. Bring toys, books, little things, snacks, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• portable dvd player, laptop for movies, mp3 player for music, little cars if he is like most boys, snacks for sure!!
    baby_headbanger

Answer by baby_headbanger at 3:18 PM on May. 22, 2009