Jaundice(sp) and Jaunice levels?

Ok my baby boy is 12 days old and is still having a battle with Jaundice. I bottle feed him. His levels were like 12.3 in the hospital after I had him. So they put him under a blue light for 24 hrs and that brought it down to 9. So I took him to his ped last friday and he wanted to repeat the test. So we went and had it taken. Yest it came back and it was still at 9 something and told me to get it retested last night. How long does it take for it to go away? What is a safe number where they cant stop testing him?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 9 is low, the formula is harder to digest so it takes longer to flush out his system. He might need billi light therapy again but I think 12 and 9 are both safe...anything pushing 15 is when they really worry. Just make sure he's eating & you're changing diapers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I breastfed and my daughter had Jaundice for a couple of weeks maybe even 3 , but it was always at around 10. It was never an issue, just sunlight and nurse because bm is the best thing for them.

I don't know what the normal lvls are, but generally jaundice isn't that big of an issue as long as the baby is pooping and peeing normally. Get him in the sun. It doesn't have to be outside if it's too cold. Let him lay in a sunny spot in the house, or feed him in a sunny spot.

From my understanding, lvls of 15 and above are scary. I don't think 9 is. My daughter got tested at the hospital and was a 10 but she never needed lights or anything, and my pediatrician never retested her.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My older son was born in NJ at what I thought was a really good hospital--Robert Wood Johnson. I even interviewed the pediatric group who would be attending a couple of months before I gave birth. Before we were discharged, my husband and I noticed how "golden brown" my son was (hubby and I are as white as the driven snow!), but our pediatrician said our son was fine--no tests (and we had no idea about jaundice or billiruben levels at the time). That evening (as we later learned) my son's billirubin levels spiked, he wouldn't stop crying, kept scratching himself, and was just miserable. I called our pediatrician (same one who discharged us) at 3AM, and he instructed us to take him to the ER. His blood was tested. Billirubin was 20.9!!! He was immediately put under the phototherapy lights (incubator style), where he remained for FOUR days--except for BF. When his levels came down to 9, he was released. No probs since!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Continued from above

This was the scariest time in being new parents! And when we had our second child (who was born in PA), we DEMANDED that his billirubin levels be checked before being discharged. We were told this is NOW standard policy, due to the death of an AA infant in PA a year or two before that had unchecked billirubin levels.

Because we had my older son's billirubin checked, his never got above 11, and he was able to receive phototherapy at HOME with what they call a Koala Blanket (the lights are embedded within a special velcro wrap, and can be worn under clothing). My younger son only needed the therapy for 2 days--but I still had to take him to the hospital for blood tests each day for a total of 5 days to be sure. THEN I was able to relax and enjoy my children! (talk about being loopy and exhausted after giving birth!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• get him in some sunlight!!! mine had it too... we put him in sunlight, even through windows... and it went away in a week!!! it was amazing! about a half hour or so a day... maybe more... but like i said, through a window is good... then its not too strong..
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Jaundice is pretty common however usually by 12 days it's no long elevated, especially for a formula fed baby. Usually they want to see a number below 12... but I think they are watching his numbers more because he is so much older and still having trouble with it. If it continues to be elevated or goes back up they might choose to do other blood tests.
    His level though doesn't put him at any risk for health complications until it gets MUCH higher. So he is "safe" but like I said... they might want to keep checking it out to make sure he doesn't have some more rare conditions that are causing it to be elevated.
    If he was born early at all, it could be what is causing it too...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My last two had jaundice. I have no clue what there levels were. I didn't take them to be seen until it was gone(which was at a month old). I just nursed as often as possible and put baby in sunlight through the window.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2009