Ok this is going to sound strange but if your water breaks what does it look like and does it continue leaking or gushing, and do your contractions always get worse? Are you always dialated enough to proceed with labor, and how much time do you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Amniotic fluid is generally clear, somewhat odorless (some people notice a sweetish smell). It can trickle or gush. Your contractions may get worse, but not always immediately. Most women, when nature is allowed to take it's course, deliver their babies 36-48 hours AFTER their water breaks, but hospitals only give you a 24 hour window because they don't know how to keep their hands out of your vagina (sad but true).

Also, if you leak early and don't go into labor it can reseal itself if it's just a small leak. Drinking lots of fluids increases your fluid amount so their is no danger, provided you don't introduce bacteria into your vagina (sex, vaginal exams, etc)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You can feel it when it pops. It feels like you have a small balloon up there that just got popped...trust me you will know. It just looks like water, maybe a lil tint to it. It does not continue leaking, it empties what it has in it then that's it. You are not always fully dialated to proceed with labor. I was in FULL ON labor, but i was only 5 centemeters. It took about 18 hours of labor before i was fully dialated, but my situation was not common, and i had a home birth. If i was at a hospital, they would have given me a c section.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• but hospitals only give you a 24 hour window because they don't know how to keep their hands out of your vagina (sad but true).

LOL celtic! It's so true! That is why i wanted the freedom of a hom birth. It was a wonderful experience.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Now what if I just got done with sex?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am having a home birth too! :)

Samurai, not everyone's water gushes though. My MIL and mother never had gushes. Just leaks! :)

OP, if it is brown/menconium stained it could be a sign of infection. I forgot to add that!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• you think your water broke after sex? or during?

the chances of that are slim lol. It could be excess fluids from sex. I would wait a little while, get myself cleaned up, before assuming it was amniotic fluid!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• sex actually helps soften the cervix if he "came" inside you, & is recommended during pregnancy because of that. Although, if your water already broke or you are in labor i would NOT recommend having sex. You could put you & your baby at risk for a bacterial infection.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• No we were having sex and I stood up felt a slite pinch and wam fluid. I usually leak white sticky stuff after sex and my urine is always darker yellow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i responded to your other question..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Mine was a gush. I had just gotten done peeing and as I walked out of the bathroom, I felt it. I had to go make sure that I didn't just pee all over myself lol. Mine had a blackish tint to it, which usually means that the baby has had a bowel movement in the sac. My contractions didn't get worse until about 2-3 hours after it broke and I was still 2 cm dilated 6 hours later.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 9:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009