3rd hand smoke

I asked my mother in law to either change her shirt or put a blanket over her clothes before holding our newborn and now she won't talk to us and has made the whole family mad at us....any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just tell her that you didn't mean to offend her, but you don't want your newborn to inhale the smoke off her clothes. I don't think that is an unreasonable request. I will be honest, I am a smoker (hopefully not for long, I plan on quitting here soon) and I haev a jacket that I wear when I smoke and wash my hands everytime as well... good luck.
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 8:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• then she is being immature, and doesn't deserve to spend time with your child. plain and simple. If she can't respect your rules now, then she will never respect them later!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. Let her be immature about it... it's your child's health and I wouldn't cave for her. If she wants to miss out on all of the time with your baby just because she won't change her shirt then that is her problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009