What can I do to make moving across country easier on my family?

We are moving in 2 months and all are nervous about it, or apprehensive.

steph_g

Asked by steph_g at 8:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know. We moved in September, and it has been a rough transition. You are moving in the spring though, so maybe look up things to do in the area, parks/local attractions/seasonal activities and talk about those things to give everyone something to look forward to? (not sure on your kids ages, my daughter was 18 months when we moved here and it wasn't easy.. she didn't understand why we were at a new place).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It depends on how you're doing it. We had movers, and my father was already living in the new house, so my mom, brother, and I made a vacation out of it, exploring every state in between.

No matter how old your kids are, give them something to look forward to. My parents made a small profit on the house they sold, so they took aside some of the money and promised me a new bedroom set and my brother a pool table in the new house. You don't need to do anything so extravagant, but get a little something for kids to mark their own "territory" in the new home.

There's usually a "welcome wagon" group in most neighborhoods that are linked with local real estate. They will be able to assist in getting to know your new community.

Don't make unpacking your first priority-- spend a couple of days exploring the new area to give your kids some familiarity.

Help your kids keep in touch with their friends.

Good luck
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I moved my family 10 years ago from MA to GA boy what a culture shock. My husband came down here first got a job, an apartment and in two months we packed up 17 boxes and mailed them to my husband. We then took a bus me and two kids 3 and 12. Try to go online and find out a little bit about the state your going to. Things in the community. schoold and look for stuff that is different from where you were. j Its definitely an adjustment. I wish I knew about cafe mom when i moved here. I bet there are alot of resources you could tap into the chamber of commerce is a good place to start. good luck
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2009