tummy sleeper help

I know that you should not put your baby to sleep on their tummy's because of SIDS. I always put my baby to sleep on her back in the crib. However, she gets an upset tummy a lot and sometimes the only thing that soothes her is laying her on her belly. I have let her sleep that way during nap time, but I watch her the whole time to make sure she's still breathing. If I put her on her back during nap time she sleeps for about 20 minutes, and then spends the rest of the day being cranky.
Has anyone else gone through this? Any advice on how to get a tummy sleeper to sleep well on their backs?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 8:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what about laying her on her side? You can roll a towel on both sides of her to keep her on her side, they even sell a cushioned thing that is made for this purpose as well. Also, maybe rubbing her belly before she goes to sleep would help too? I wish I had better advice for you - Good Luck!!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 8:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I let mine sleep on their tummies. My oldest spit up while on his back, the first afternoon we had him home. He CHOKED on it. I had to flip him over and suction him out.

I also know that doctors sometimes recommend a baby with reflux be put to sleep on their belly to help.

Sleeping on her back isn't going to prevent SIDS. Babies still die of SIDS while on their backs. And even if you sit there and watch her while she sleeps on her tummy, if she dies of SIDS, there's no thing you can do. By the time you've noticed she's stopped breathing, it's too late. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but that's why it's called SUDDEN Infant Death Syndrome. They don't know what causes it. They "think" some things are risk factors, but even that isn't known for sure! Better to just enjoy the the time you have with your children rather than worry about something you can't stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• All 4 of our babies slept on their tummies. They just weren't able to sleep on their backs. They were constantly having that startle reflex going on and just couldn't sleep well. Babies slept on their tummies for years before they suggested that it was a possible cause of SIDS and even after this big "Back to Sleep" movement, it is still as prevelent, so I didn't worry about it. Even in the NICU, they had my preemie baby on her tummy to sleep.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling? We thought our first daughter hated it, and then at about 8 weeks we tried it again with those velcro blankets. She was finally able to have long maps on her back.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:10 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• mine's 8 mo old, he slept on his tummy...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my baby sleeps on her tummy since birth and she is now 6 months old she would not sleep on her back
    Anonymous

• Emi has slept on her tummy since birth. For the first 8 weeks it was on me, tummy to tummy, then I started laying her down next to me on her tummy. Right now she's napping on her tummy in my bed. She's almost 6 months.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm sure others have already said this, but I am going to say it too...try putting the baby to sleep on their side. My daughter was extremely fussy due to colic and she preferred to have pressure on her tummy to help relieve the gas but I have been there when a friend's baby passed away from SIDS while sleeping on her tummy and there is nothing worse to go thru in the world in my opinion, so I put my daughter on her side-ALWAYS- and they sell some great colic tablets that help relieve gas and also calm them down when they are fussy. Try them for anytime the baby is fussy, they are called "Highland's Colic Tablets" and they are sold at health food places. They are all natural so they won't hurt your baby or over-medicate them. They were a savior for me when she was a newborn!! Now my mom uses them on my nephew when he is fussy and they are working for her too. Good Luck!
    bribrat85

Answer by bribrat85 at 5:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2009