sleep away camps

my 10 year old daughter is bugging me about going to a sleep away camp that is 2 hours away fora week my daughter has many allergies and a little scared to let her go am i just panicking or should i just relax and let her go ?

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a 9 year old son who is in cubscouts and I will not let him go on any camping trips alone. I'm terrified to have my kids sleep away, especially for a week. I know at some point we need to relax but I'm not sure when. There are just so much scary stuff out there and I trust no one. I know I'm not helping but I feel the same as you. My DS also has allergies, to peanuts, so I'm always worried about that too. Good luck with your decision.
    dcoscia3

Answer by dcoscia3 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Please--let her go. She needs to learn she can take care of herself and challenges like this are good for kids. Contact the camp office--without her knowing in case it doesn't work--explain your concerns and get their input. If you feel they are capable of dealing with her allergies---let her go.
    One thing I see in sooooo many kids is that they never get to deal with personal challenges and overcome them. Mom's are waaaaay too protective. Believe me, it is tough. I grew up riding horses but when my daughter started riding--I had to stay in the house because I was so nervous:-) I know allergies are a different concern--but let her do AS MUCH AS possible so she can learn she can handle challenges and succeed:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My kids were checking cattle in the middle of the night in grade school. They were actually fencing (cattle fences) when they were 9-14 years old. That involved being out with the truck and miles from home. Kids really need challenges to grow strong mentally and emotionally. I urge parents to embrace those challenges but keep your fears to yourself:-) You do not want to cripple your child from your own fears.
    My kids started skiing (thanks grandpa:-) when they were 4-9 years old--and man could they ski. That scared the heck out me but they loved it. I could go on, but the point is---seek out those challenges--be they whatever--they instill confidence and competence in a child:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 11 year old son just went away to 6th grade camp for a week w/ his school and it was the longest week of my life but Im so glad he went! I missed him like crazy but it was so good for him. He had a great time and learned alot. I left the decision up to him if he wanted to go or not cause deep down inside I didnt want him to go but he wanted to. He was home sick though.....also where he went we were not allowed to call him or him call us, we could just write and by the time he got my letter it was time to come home! It was a good experience for him!
    Anonymous

• I have been involved in Boy Scouts for many years. I have let my sons go to summer camp many times. They have had a blast at camp and come back more confident than ever. Maybe you need her to go as much as she needs to go. Both of you will survive a week apart. Now my oldest is in the military. I knew that all of us would do well. Let her go have a life. And while you are at it, do something for yourself besides be a nervous mom.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to answer this question with a personal comparison of me and my sister.

Me - started going to camp at age 9, went away at least once a year for at least a week every year. Left home at 18 for college then got married, got a job, had a baby, bought a house, the works.

My sister - wouldn't go on overnight trips without her mommy, was one of the few who didn't go on 6th grade trip, went to junior college while living at home, moved out for a couple of months at age 24 and is now living at home again.

I know that's hardly scientific but seriously, sleep away camps are good for kids. If you don't start loosening the apron strings in the tween years it's gonna be hard to cut them come college time.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009