Is it wrong to give a toddler soda?

My sister gives it to her kids all the time and I think its just too much. My two year old loves it because his father sneaks it to him. I can't stand it! If I do decide to give it to him I dilute it with plenty of water.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 9:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I will give my one year old sips every so often. When we eat out I'll give him a little taste and watch his eyes pop open and hear him say mmmmm :) haha. But no, not anywhere close to all the time he gets pure juice, milk and water.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• All the time is too much. Once in awhile is OK like parties etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Im not sure it is "wrong" but it certainly isn't healthy. The sugar and caffeine is too much for a toddler in my opinion. I don't understand why so many people want to?! There are plenty of other options available with all the combinations of fruits they put into juices now, plus water and milk (or soy milk or rice milk) is so good for them!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My kids are allowed a sip of mine once in a great while...maybe once every couple weeks or so. My oldest hates the taste so he never asks. They've only been allowed their own pop once or twice when we've gone to Dog N Suds (old fashioned drive-in restaraunt with great rootbeer). They LOVE the rootbeer!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well its' not wrong, but too much will rot their teeth out. my kids would get soda at rare times,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 4 year old is just know allowed to have soda. And by that I mean that he can have a small cup every 2 weeks or he can have a sip of mine every once in a while. My 22 month old has never tried it and i do not want him to until he is at least 4 as well. I just don't think it is good for them and there are so many good things for kids to drink so there really is not reason to give kids soda.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 9:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's not "wrong" but I don't give my babes soda either. I don't want them to develop a taste for it. My oldest is two and she has had some sips of ours but we don't drink it much ourselves so its not usually a problem.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 10:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I may let my 2 yr old have a sip every now and then, but no way will he get it all the time! I dont think it's wrong, but just think of the acidic value of it.
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my daughter didn't have soda until she was 4. She doesn't really care for it now. She'll drink water before she drinks soda. I don't think it necessarily "wrong" but it's just not healthy. It can cause all sorts of things that a parent won't want to deal with.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It is not healthy at all and can cause many problems from tooth decay to not having room for healthy food, to obesity. My children get it when at a birthday party and I split a can between me and the 2 of them so they get about 1/3 of a can of pop. I make sure it is noncaffeinated and NOT diet. They love it as an occasional treat, but never allthe time.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009