My son suffers with constipation..

yesterday we went to a new dr and we talked about his constipation and hin not wanting to potty train. He has suffered with constipation since he was born and was thrown off to formula baby and then 6 months ago miralax. He will be 4 in 3 weeks no interest in the potty he cries! Well today i have an order th go get his thyroid checked! Could this be it? I researched it online sounds like maybe this is it! Has anyone had or have a child with a thyroid problem?

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 9:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has had constipation problems since he was 2 years and 4 months old. He is now almost 6 and has a better handle on making sure he goes whether he wants to or not. He was hospitalized for being SO backed up and had 4 enemas during the stay. It was a nightmare. We just had to give Miralax one a day for literally years to keep him comfortable. Mine was just scared to go because he was afraid it would hurt. We had to keep it soft (no cramping) to train him to realize it was ok.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would go to greensmoothiegirl.com and read about nutrition and health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son is 7 and he does not have a thyroid problem but he does suffer with constipation. Kids get constipated when they hold it for too long. He resists going to the potty for some reason. I took him to see his doctor and he examined him and told me that this is purely a control issue with him. Its in his head and its not a physical problem. He holds it so long that he ends up pooping on himself because it has to come out eventually. We travelled over the weekend and he went through 7 pairs of underwear. Talk about frustrating. I usually give him miralax to make him go. We don't punish for this because it doesnt work. Doc told me to not make an issue of it. Just make him take responsibility for his clothes and he will work it out on his own. I wish he would hurry up!...LOL....Hopefully its not his thyroid. Theres a lot of reasons for kids to be constipated.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• At 7--I would find a different doctor!
    Anonymous

• My son is 5 and suffers from constipation. It is hereditary in our family.
    He has never tried to hold it in, thankfully.
    He has been on Miralax and we are trying to wean him off it now.
    He has a stomach acid issue so we have to be careful about adding foods.

You need to look at the foods he is eating. He should be having no more than 3 servings of dairy a day. He should be having approx 7 servings of fruits and/or vegetables a day. And not a lot of sugar in his diet, and lots of water.

I thought you were normally under or overweight to be checking thryoid function.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009