Nosy people

Does anybody else get really upset when non-medical people try to butt-in and tell them what they should/shouldn't be doing in their pregnancy? I'm almost 29 weeks and ALMOST every morning at work I get myself a tiny (maybe 10 oz) powdered French Vanilla cappucino from the machine. I've been doing this since before I was pregnant. This little cup of coffee has maybe 50mg of caffeine (a regular cup of coffee has about 110) I looked it up when I found out I was pregnant. On the days I have the coffee it's the only caffeine I allow myself for the day. Well, today, the (annoying) woman who sits next to me asked me if it was coffee or hot chocolate (remember, I get this everyday, she's seen it before) and when i told her what it was she raised her eyebrows and asked "Why do you drink coffee, it's so bad?" But anyway, I told her to mind her own business. Now I just feel like I'm a bad mother. Anybody else come across rude people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Unless your dr. says it's a bad idea then other people need to butt out. You're not a bad mom because you drink a little coffee, I know women who drank lots of soda while pregnant and the babies were fine (I can't because I'm actually allergic to caffeine myself). I guess there's just always that one person who has to butt into your business and try to make you feel bad about having a baby, and their "expert" opinion usually comes from old wives tales. Don't even worry about it, you're not drinking anything toxic or doing anything that can hurt your baby, so just ignore them.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 10:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I just tell them to mind their own damn biz, and some caffeine is OK!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Some people don't really know and just believe the hype. Why don't you enlighten her nicely? Caffeine isn't good for you lol. I know this, and still have had some this pregnancy. No one has said anything to me, and I definitely minimize it (which it sounds like you are doing).

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yeah, I kind of explained how a little is said to be ok but I didn't want to feel like I had to defend myself. It's not that big of a deal, I know, but I guess I'm just overly sensitive right now :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It happens! I get hormonal too! DH made a comment the other night, just joking and I about bawled hehe.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• 10 oz is a big cup of coffee. The regular cup of coffee that you mention would probably be 8 oz, so you are getting more caffeine than you think you are. Couldn't you drink decaf during the pregnancy? Having said that here, I would never say it to an expectant mom at work. I'd assume that she'd have checked with her OB about drinking caffeine.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I mis-wrote. There is an 8 and a 10 oz cup that comes out of the machine, I get the 8 oz. My mistake. I looked up the brand that the machine uses and for the 8 oz it says there's about 53mg of caffeine. So, I'm getting just what I thought. I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it for the flavor and like I said, it's all that I have for the day and not everyday. But yes, you're right, there's a place for things to be said (like here) and a place where people should just not butt-in (like in the workplace). But I guess if I had a needle in my arm and a cigarette in my mouth, drinking a forty I wouldn't blame her :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The powdered drinks and such usually contain less coffee and more creamer, or milk, or whatever else. I am also getting crap for caffeine because I took a few sips of Cola! I even explained nicely that caffeine is okay in small ammounts, and I got the blank "you terrible mother" stare and glare! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Um, I would rather you drink cokes all day than smoke one cigg. Or drink any alcohol. I wouldn't say a thing about caffeine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Your not harming anyone my sister drank coffe and powered donutseveryday of her pregnancy and still does my niece is now 2 she knows all her abc's can count to 100 knows all colors shapes and 25 states and potty trained at 1.5yrs go ahead girl you will be a great mother with vry bright intelligent baby GOOD LUCK PLEASE DONT LET PPL TAKE THE JOY OF BEING A NEW MOTHER AWAY FROM YOU YOUR IMPORTANT NOW LOL :)) YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
    msjerrica

Answer by msjerrica at 11:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2009