Sitting in the front seat.

Hey! How old do your kids have to be to sit in the front seat? I know that under 12 the airbags can be dangerous.. But at the same time.. I remember riding in the front seat at like 4.. And my son is 8 and weighs about 55 lbs. So does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't put children in my front seat unless I have to (very rare.) I have seen too many kids fly through the windshield and they had their seat belts on. I even bought a vehicle that had enough room for my son's friend so when I had him I didn't have to put my son in the front seat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Check your state laws.

Remember, when we were kids, not every car was equipped with air bags so comparing when we did sit in the front and when our kids should is not apples to apples.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• And when I was growing up my mom didn't let us ride in the front until we were 13.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• In Alabama, state law says you can't ride up front till you are 15! AND they have to be in a booster seat till like age 8. I would go with PP and check state law in your state.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I dont' think my son rode up front till he was 11
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well I think it depends on the size of the child. My daughter just turned 8 and weighs around 110 and is tall for her age. She basically looks like my lil sis...lol. But honestly it depends on the size of the child.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks! I appreciate your anwers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Everyone is right, check your state laws. BUT i'd also just put him up there, and look around. Picture a front end collision. Where will the air bag hit? If it doesn't deploy where would he hit? At least in the back seat, he's just going to hit the othe seat. I don't think that's as bad as hitting the dashboard or getting hurt by the air bag because it hits in the face rather than the chest. I think it's safer to wait...no matter what the law says.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• In NC it is 15 and under in the back seat and 8yrs or 80 lbs, in a booster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• its 8yr and 80lbs in the state of nc if your child is under 80lbs and over 8 they still need the seat and if they are under 8yrs and over 80lbs they still need a seat my mothers boss just got pulled over for this he got a 250 fine and was informed if he got caught again it could be a jail time of up too 6months so be careful
    Anonymous