Help I have a Biter!!! What do I do?

My 1 1/2yr old will not stop biting!!!! I h bit him back and put him in time out!!! I have no idea what else to do! My 2 yr old has bruises from the bites all down one arm! He only bites when the 2yr old makes him anger. He hasnt bit anyone else yet. Please help this is getting out of control!!!

JJett2009

Asked by JJett2009 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try tabasco
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• slap him in the mouth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• it may sound harsh, but im a strong supporter of a bite back or a pop in the mouth. i think it gets their attention and they realize it hurts.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Pop in the mouth?! Are you serious? Doesnt anyone think that will teach a child violence is the answer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i screamed (like just got shot screamed) as loud as i could. Loud enough that it scared the poo out of my kid. she stopped biting quickly.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i bite back after months of trying everything i knew to do, that worked for the first one, the second on after we busted her butt a couple of times, and she bite her sister(who was 5 at the time) got bite on the stomach, she rared back a popped the bitter right in the mouth, that stoped the second one, and just 2 weeks ago, i stood up from the computer and got my butt bite( yes, my butt, i didnt see my 21 month old son sneak up behind me) i slapped him up side the head,!!( NO I DID NOT DO THIS ON PURPOSE< IT WAS JUST A REACTION TO "GET AWAY") after i realized what happened i felt like crap and i just cried and so did he, but he told me he was sorry and i didnt even have to make him!! and needless to say, he hasnt bite anyone since!! BUt i do not incourage slapping your kid upside the head!!! but a good old butt busting and a attention mouth POP( not slap or mouth bust, you should see NO blood ladies(lol) want kill them!!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• oh, i also told him i was sorry for hitting and that mommy loved him, but he absolutly can not bite, and he said "yes mam". But that did not change the fact that i truly felt bad but like i said it WAS NOT on purpose.
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• no anon, i dont think it will teach violence. it seems to me, that since parents have stopped spanking, kids have become more violent. the crime rate is a lot higher than it was 50 years ago, and i think its b/c so many parents have this "dont hurt their self esteem talk it it out no discipline" attitude.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Never hit or bite a child for biting. This communicates that biting is an acceptable way to work out problems, even if it hurts others.

If a biting incident occurs, stay calm and respond quickly. Give the child who was been bitten your attention first, tend to the wound, and reassure him or her. Then turn your attention to your child, who did the biting. Calmly and firmly tell your child that he or she is not allowed to bite and that biting hurts. “Emma is crying because her hand hurts where you bit her.”

As both children are likely be upset by the incident, give each a comforting hug and then redirect them to a quiet activity so that both have time to calm down. Wait a few minutes and then talk with your child about what caused his or her frustration and how he might express his feelings differently in the future. A hug will reassure a young child you still love him while biting is not acceptable.
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Biting is quite common among toddlers and is a very normal reaction for this age group. Children bite for many reasons. Sometimes they are teething and the biting feels good. Others seem to enjoy the strong reaction they get. Sometimes it starts out as a kiss and just goes too far. Most of the time, though, biting occurs because a child is frustrated and does not know what else to do. For example, the activity may be too difficult for the child. Or there may be too many children for the child to deal with. Or the child may be angry because someone tried to take a toy away. Because the child has not yet learned appropriate words or actions to express his frustration, he resorts to biting.

There are many things you can do to eliminate the biting.

TEACH ACCEPTABLE ALTERNATIVES TO BITING.

* Teach the child to say "no" if another child is doing something he doesn't like.
    * Substitute a teething ring
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2009