Does everyone know that Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) are made EXCLUSIVELY in China?

Does anyone else think China having an exclusive contract with the US and is the ONLY country making and distributing these lightbulbs is a problem--considering EVERYTHING China produces contains harmful amounts of lead?

And did you realize that EXCLUSIVE use of these CFLs nationally was signed in to law in 2007, and will go in to effect in 2014? That means if you want to be able to use incandescent (common) lightbulbs, you better stock up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

This is a GREAT video (CSPAN clip for those who dismiss YouTube Videos!) that addresses the issues surrounding CFLs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is just over-the-top legislation which we don't need. The CFL's are supposedly energy-saving, but what about my personal energy if I break one of the damned things? Have you seen the rules for cleaning up and avoiding mercury poisoning? And I thought they were supposed to be an option for those who wanted to pay a lot of money for a light bulb that would (maybe) lower their electric bill. Required to use them exclusively by 2014? It's pretty sad when the federal government starts telling people what kind of light bulbs they have to use.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• then why don't you buy a few and break em...then clean them up with your bare hands!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Anons you are being really rude! And it is uncalled for. She was posting informing information. If you don't care about it... then grow up a bit and quit acting like a 5 year old and move on. Just because YOU don't care doesn't mean others feel the same way as you.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• get mad amy.. now you're acting like a child too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't like that most recycling centers won't take them and they have mercury in them. I have read in articles that if one breaks, you are supposed to clear the room for at least 15 minutes, then you are to try to clean up the pieces by sweeping them with two sheets of paper (like using one as a dustpan and the other as the broom). You are not supposed to vacuum it as this can cause the mercury to become airborne and to be inhaled.

I don't understand how they can be sold without a warning and directions for clean up on their packages. We require it on cigarettes and alcohol. Why not something that is harmful to our health that the government is trying to make mandatory? I see some future class action lawsuits coming down the pike.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• OP here--thanks Amy! I'm not surprised at Anon behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

Just so everone knows I am not blowing smoke.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Also though, my husband is an electrician and he said these aren't as bad as they make them out to be. NOW whether that is true or not IDK But he always says that the amount of mercury in them are soooo little it really wont hurt anyone. But like I said, I don't know if that is true or not? But your welcome OP- its not surprising to me either.. immature.eye rolling

amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• it's sad ppl have nothing better to talk about than flippin' lightbulbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I know anon, it is, isn't it? But on the flip side- its said that you have to criticize what others decide to talk about.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2009