When does my cycle start/ovulation timing question...

I used to chart my cycles for natural family planning, using cervical mucous, basal body temp, etc... I am not sure how to know where things are at now. I am still up a couple of times a night with my 1 year old (so can't take basal temp) and I start spotting 4-8 days before my period starts. There seems to be a day when it becomes heavier, and I have been using that as my 'day one', but should I be starting to count some of those earlier days? I have concieved twice and both were around day ten (that standard 'ovulation occurs on day 14' isn't always true). Anyone more familiar with this than I am? With this much spotting, could it affect me getting pregnant again? Just not sure what all the breakthrough bleeding is from--and can't retest hormones until I am no longer breastfeeding. Thanks!

sunfish21

Asked by sunfish21 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• The standard ovulation day, the 14th day isn't always true because that is based on the length of the average woman's cycle. Not everyone's cycle lasts 28 days. Figure out how many days is your cycle by counting from the first day of your last period (in your case, I believe you should start on the first day you start spotting) till the first day of your next period and however many days that is, is how long your cycle is. Then divide that in half and the number that comes out is the day you ovulate or around that day. For example if your cycle lasts 32 days, then your ovulation day is around the 16th day.
    youngmom3525

Answer by youngmom3525 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Have you tried the ovulation predictor kits, you pee on them like a pregnany test. With you still breastfeeding you may not be ovulating regurarly though either. How many times aday are you nursing? I would go to fertilityfriend.com there is a bunch of info on there and you can sign up for a free trial that will help you with the charting and such. I would also go ahead and start temping, it wont be 100% accurate, but it will help to get a better idea at least. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• And the first post is not always accurate either. You ovulate 14 days before you periou is supposed to start, so dont cut the time in half, but take the last day and subtract 14 instead.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well, having conceived twice and both times being right around day ten, I don't expect that anything is occuring on day 14. Some women ovulate 14 days from when their period starts, but it can vary by over a week. I am really looking for info from people very familiar with NFP--I had charted for several years before getting pregnant and don't know anyone health care providers in town that advise on this. Specifically, I am wondering if this bleeding early indicates a 'problem' somewhere (ie: luteul phase, etc...) and if if might inicate that I am getting a period but not ovulating. Please advise!! Thank you!
    sunfish21

Answer by sunfish21 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• AK aries--what I have heard about ovulation kits that is that the spike that occurs truly is a spike--and the odds of catching it when you choose to test are very slim. I have read a little about certain times of day that are more likely to catch the hormone indicating ovulation...do you know if this is true? What little I read made it sound like you were most likley throwing money away on the test...but maybe I should look into it.
    sunfish21

Answer by sunfish21 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009