baby milestones..???

i have an 8 mo old, he's crawling pretty quickly these days, and says mama, don't think he fully knows its me, but getting there... he's breastfed.. and he will not take a spoon, he closes his mouth when i get it close.. been trying for 2 months!!! what are the correct milestones for talking, food, walking.. etc? i heard he's supposed to wave bye bye by now too... am i not teaching him properly??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think your right on target. Not every child likes spoons or perhaps he's not hungry. My dd wouldnt take a spoon when she was teething. My dd just started waving bye bye about 3 weeks ago. she's 9 months but dont rush things, he will learn it eventually!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• He's doing fine! I wouldn't even stress. I don't remember when Becka waved, but it was after 8 months I am sure of it! She clapped before then though. Every baby is different. Some babies take longer to get used to solids, so don't stress. My daughter hated baby food, so at 8 months we started finger foods. Remember, solids are just for experimentation for the first year so no need to rush! :) Your baby is getting all his nutrition from breast milk!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Woah, relax! Some babies love solids, other take some more time. Breast milk is the most important right now anyway. You may have one of those babies who won't really take to eating until it's table food, and that's ok... 8 months sounds early for waving bye-bye. Sounds like he's motoring along fine, so I wouldn't worry about that department... He's making consonant and vowel sounds, I'm sure they'll start meaning things around 12 or 13 months... But try not to think of milestones as rules or checklists. Kids are so different and develop different things at different rates. If you start thinking like this now, it could be easy to slip into being an overpressuring parent in the later years. I'm not saying you will be, but just take a breath and enjoy your 8 month old discovering his world. It's miraculous. He won't be this age ever again... enjoy it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• there is no SET time. My daughter slow with things. She didnt sit up til she was 8m old she didnt crawl til she was 10m old and she didnt walk or wave til she was 14 m old. she is 15m old now and she can say a few words and she can walk pretty good.

Now my 3m old is already trying to sit up. Every baby is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sound to me like he is doing fine. He's the same age as my son... and is doing about the same. My son will take food from a spoon, but lately likes to feed himself finger foods. See if you son is more willing to feed himself or take things from your fingers. My friends daughter is almost 11 months and only just started taking baby foods... she wouldn't have anything to do with them before.. and she still won't take them from her mom, only her dad and grandma.
    My son doesn't wave bye-bye but we don't wave to him so I don't expect him to know how.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Your doing fine! My son didnt like to eat baby food at all! He went straight to table foods at 6 months! They have these mesh things that they can hold and you can put like fruits or other foods in them and the baby can eat on it without the risk of choking... My son is only 10 months now and he eats regular food 3 times a day. Plus my son will only clench his fist as his bye bye lol and says lots of things but he rambles them so Im not sure he know what they mean yet. Your child will say things you say often to them, the newest one since he started walking is no no... Thats a fun one hehe
    Whitney_Short

Answer by Whitney_Short at 11:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2009