How old is too young to potty train a little boy?

HomeSuccess09

Asked by HomeSuccess09 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew was training at 18 months. My 2 boys were not trained until they were 3.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I believe that a child is ready when they are ready. My did not become potty trained til 3 yrs. old.
    I tried when he was 2 and he wanted nothing to do with it. So I waited. And now he is potty trained and no accidents even ......no bed wetting at nite either.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It depends on the child. I think pushing a child to potty train is never okay. Just encourage it and they will do it when they are ready. So you can start trying at any time but just take it slow.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• just go off the baby...sometimes they dont start till after 2yo
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• no time is too early as long as you and him are ready. mine was interested at 18 months but i wasnt ready. we got him on a potty at 27 months or so and he was day potty trained in three months. he will be three now in may and almost have him trained at night. it all depends on the child and parent. good luck momma =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my first 2 were very easy to potty train they learned together but my baby...he is a lil more difficult he will go but only at home. If he is in an unfamiliar place forget about it he want even attempt. But all kids are not the same so you just have to fill them out!
    luvnmykidos

Answer by luvnmykidos at 12:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Apparently a child is never too young for some mothers. There is a type of training called "elminimation communication" or infant potty training. Interesting concept, although was never my cup of tea, I knew a few moms who used this method. Here is the link if you're interested in finding out more.
    http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/pottytraining/f/infantpt.htm

I, personally, think that any time under a year is way too young. You just have to look for cues in your child and go from there. If they can say and/or understand "wet" or "pee pee" or you've purchased a potty chair and they sit on it alot, wouldn't hurt to try. If no success in a week or two, then you know it's too early just try again later.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5-diap/42-infant-potty-training.htm
    and one more link from naturalfamilyonline.com
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Personaly all my kids were potty trained before 2. Im a mother 5 kids 4 boys. My boys allways like going to the bathroom with daddy. It made it fun they wanted to do what daddy do be a big boy. Your kid will give you signs when they are ready. My 2 yr old daughter took her diaper off. Don't delay the process if he is truly ready. Say things like mommy have too go to the bathroom would u like too try.
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2009