crate training

How do I crate train my schanuzer dogs they are 2 & 3 yrs old? I regret never doing this in the first place but I need to do something now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pets

• I put the dog in the crate.I let them out side to do it's thing.I feed them in there crate. Only let them out to run around the house for a little while a day.Like 1/2 an hour at a time a couple times a day..After a couple weeks of doing this start letting the dogs out more and more.

Answer by louise2 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The good thing is that you have two of them. I have two small dogs that stay in their crates when I am away from home and they keep each other company. Granted, they have been trained since puppy hood, but I think the tips would be the same at any age. Soft comfortable bedding and a few of their favorite treats should help. You can ease them into their crate with a biscuit and then make sure you leave right away so you don't antagonize them. ( I give my dogs Milkbones as a regular treat and save the expensive tasty treats for when they're in the crate. It gives them something to look forward to). If they have separation anxiety try putting them in the crate for very short periods of time first. Like if you are walking to the bus stop to pick up the kids. They will quickly realize that you will return each time you leave and the anxiety will become less.
    Never use the crate as punishment.
    Best of Luck!
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If they have a blanket or bed they normally sleep on, put that in the kennel. It will take a while probably, and they may never like it, but they will learn to tolerate it. Give them treats and extra loves after they get put out, to reinforce that it isn't a punishment. Something I think is important to stress is that it is not a punishment. We got a pup last summer and I crate trained her from day one, and I never put her in there as punishment. To me, its like putting a small child in their bedroom for punishment and then wanting them to go happily at bed time. It sends a bit of a mixed message.

Good luck!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• JUST be through.. you dont want to confuz them.. but its a great way for them to learn.. it will just take time..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009