Ticking Clock

Okay, so I am new on here so no one knows that the man I am seeing is a non-citizen. He has been here for 6 years, first on a student visa and then on a work visa. Well, yesterday the company he works for (he is Japanese and it is a japanese company) laid off him and 7 others. So, now the clock is ticking on time until deportation, I guess. Apparently, the way it works is that your company sponsors your visa and you can stay, after that, you have to leave. I really, really need advice on what to do. We have already decided that we want to stay together permanently, but with this coming up it looks as though that is not an option. Does anyone know anything about how the system works? Any advice on whether or not we should just end it now and spare the heartache later?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• if he is worth it, than it's worth the fight you will have ahead of you. The rules seem to change all the time.
    You get married and than he will have to go back. Do paper work that may take a year, than he can back. Buts rules change??
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well, the thing is we don't want him to go back to Japan.... He wants to stay here and I want him to stay here with me as well... We were searching for a place together and everything and it just looks so grim now with this whole situation. It is so weird because they have relocated him so many times to cut costs to avoid laying off people. Japanese companies are not like american companies at all and so they try to really work around that, but I guess sometimes it happens anyway. Anyway, it is such a bummer to finally find your perfect mate and have to worry that you will lose him.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Talk to an immigration lawyer. If you marry him, he might not get deported at all. I don't know, I'm just guessing here so you really need competent advice.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009