Is it possible to drink too much whole milk?

My son is almost 13 months and started whole milk about a month ago. We slowly transitioned by doing 2/3 Formula + 1/3 Milk at the beginning and continued to change another 1/3 into milk. He takes milk fine but doesn't like water (my husband and I aren't big on juice or soda). I've tried different things but to no avail.

He's always been a picky eater and wants milk instead of food. I always try to feed him first. He has been having some difficulty passing stools for the past 3 weeks (very hard stools, he tears his anus and cries as though he is giving birth). I heard that drinking too much milk (he easily takes 24-30 oz in a 24hr period) can cause hard stools.

Has anyone had this issue? Can it be a milk allergy? Should I dilute some of his bottles, so that the milk intake is less? We're working on getting him to drink water from a sippy. Have been trying milk in a sippy since 7 mths but nope.

angelayang

Asked by angelayang at 12:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it is.. My 16m does sometimes, so at home i give him wal-mart brand soy milk, cause the daycare gives him whole milk all day.. If he is sick or anything whole milk will hurt rather than help, get some soy milk and see if he likes it.. It comes flavord if you think that will help..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Too much milk can cause constipation and it can cause anemia. Limit him to 16 to 24 ounces a day.
    It's not a milk allergy though. If he was lactose intolerant (not a milk allergy either), he'd have diarehea and tons of gas. If he had an actual milk allergy, he'd get hives and swelling.

Don't give him laxatives or enemas for the constipation without talking to his doctor first. Long term use of them can cause other problems. The only exception is Miralax - it does not cause long term problems - but you still need to talk to his doctor first. To start with, try prune juice. Apple juice may work too but it has the opposite effect in some people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I talked to my Ped and she said try the "natural" things such as changing his diet (we've upped the fruits and veggies, and limited BRAT and some grains unless it's high fiber like barley), the prune juice or apple juice (he takes a little, but very little prune juice), and trying to get him to drink more water. She didn't mention the milk but I'll probably give her a call back this week. I haven't done any of the laxatives or enemas because he's not THAT constipated. He still goes once a day, just has very hard stools. I prefer to play with the diet before giving anything medicated. Now that I think about it it's probably not an allergy or intolerance (I'm LacInt). I may try soy milk again, if they have flavored ones (he didn't like the regular isomil when it was sick). Thanks everyone!
    angelayang

Answer by angelayang at 12:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I jusst found out from the ped, that it can stop them from absorbing the iron they need, they say to limit there milk to 3 glasses a day the rest should be juice or water.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my dd drinks milk all day. I get 2% milk because she likes it better. Sometimes she has hard poops but it hasn't been as bad since I switched from whole to 2%. She also had problems with her iron being low when she was a baby but not so much now. She does take a vitamin with iron in it every day though.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My first ped. said to limit it to 15-20 oz a day, my new one says even 32 is a ok but we had already set the 20 or so oz regiment, so we haven't changed.... In any case your son needs water. What we did because our daughter totally preferred milk (and we were not going to do juice, that stuff's no good for them!) was limited the milk to certain times a day... It used to be about 7 oz right when she got up, about 7 oz between nap and lunch (she was on one nap) and about 7 oz right before bed. We had a sippy of water accessible at all times and if she was thirsty, it was that or nothing. She adjusted fine. She still has one glass 3 times a day at 22 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would cut out a lot of his milk, and give him some juice. I know you and DH aren't big on it, but it will be good for the baby!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I just noticed the part about not taking a sippy ... he probably has a bottle preference and since milk's still being offered in a bottle wants nothing but that. Try different sippy cups. My daughter finally would take milk from a straw one. Throw out the bottles and don't look back again. He'll have to adjust. Then chances are he'll drink water from one, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i'm sorry but i don't see where milk is going to be harmful... my child is 2 and 1/2 and all she wants is milk & sometimes water. she is very healthy and still eats her meals.
    Anonymous

• Yea my son just turned 2 and he has constipated poops all the time. He doesn't really like juice and will only drink water at night so he's always drinking milk. I decided about a week ago to not let him have milk except at meals and if he's thirsty enough he will drink the water.

BTW If you want him to drink out of a sippy cup try taking the plastic piece out of the inside of the lid and not letting him have a bottle at all. He won't let himself go thirsty. Well IDK that for sure but i know thats the way my friend got her son on a sippy.
    ladyraven16

Answer by ladyraven16 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009