MediCal: do I have to be single to get it?

If I am on MediCal for pregnancy, and decide to marry my boyfriend, will I lose my coverage because his income is now included?

I'm not currently pregnant, but we're thinking of having another within the next year. We CAN afford another child, but since I would need a csection and have recently lost my health insurance I want to know if MediCal is an option, and under what conditions...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You would probably need to buy private insurance or get added to his. Mine was about $400/month...and if you can't afford that, you can't afford another baby.
    Anonymous

• It depends on what your combined income will be. Usually if you're pregnant, they'll work w/ you until you deliver. Talk to your case worker and be sure to have his income (pay stubs) for the last month at least. If I remember right, even if you're not married, but he's living with you at least some of his incme has to be added in anyway. Also, if it turns out you'd no longer be eligible, there's also Healthy Families and Healthy Children. Good luck!

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 1:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Do you mean Medicaid? This is a goverment funded medical inssurance. If thats what your talking about then yes if your husband and you get married they will combine what you guys make togeather. However that doesnt mean you still wont be able to recieve Medicaid. Here in Texas you can only be on Medicaid if your pregnant or diabled. I had medicaid as a secondary inssurance when I was pregnant with our son. They covered everything that my primary wouldnt cover. By law if you are pregnant and dont have health insurrance cause you cant afford it then the state is required to provide you with coverage. I think with two people and one child you cant make over $42,000 a yr.. That might varry depending on where you live so check your human resources office nearby. Just call 411 and ask for the # to the medicaid office. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I dont think so, its all about how much you make as a couple. If you meet the income bracket of the number of people in your family than you will qualify. But as someone mentioned above you should find out at the Medicaid office because each state has different guidelines. Good luck.
    Anonymous