Seventh Day Adventist

Is anyone a Seventh Day Adventist? and if so what do you believe differently than other christians? Just wondering..thx

danni33

Asked by danni33 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • • Belief in Deity
    There is a Trinity of the Father, the Son (Christ), and the Holy Spirit that comprises one God Almighty.

• Incarnations
    Jesus Christ is God's only incarnation and is God.

• Origin of Universe and Life
    The biblical Book of Genesis is inerrant. Most Seventh-day Adventists hold that, although the universe and our planet are ancient, God created the ordered world and all life forms in less than seven, literally twenty-four hour, days, less than 10,000 years ago--thereby refuting most claims of modern science.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm extremely curious too about SDA's. My MIL is one and I'll be honest it's driving me NUTS sometimes!!
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• • After Death
    Death results in unconsciousness. At any time now, Jesus Christ will return to raise to heaven all the righteous dead and living, resurrect and destroy the wicked and Satan here on earth, and then return the righteous to a paradisiacal earth for eternity with God.

• Why Evil?
    Original sin--all people are inherently sinners, prone to evil and subject to Satan's temptations.
    ReneeK3

• • Salvation
    Salvation is only by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ alone. But faith must be exhibited through action. Baptism (full immersion) is performed at age of accountability for those "born again" and is regarded as a demonstration of belief, a symbol of union with Christ and forgiveness of sins, and reception of the Holy Spirit. The faithful will obey God's commandments, acknowledge and repent their sins, observe the Sabbath on Saturday, adhere to church moral laws, restrictions, and sacraments, including baptism and communion, care for their body as a temple of the Holy Spirit. Living life as simply and naturally as possible, away from stressful influences, is encouraged. Some modes of entertainment (theater, billiard rooms, dance halls, saloons, most television, movies, etc.) are to be avoided. Schooling at home or at non-government church schools is recommended.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ReneeK3

• How many SDA's still avidly hold up Elen G. White as a prophet today?

I have a zillion other questions but I really don't know how to phrase them without coming across offensive.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Shutterbug--I'm not SDA :) I'm just Christian. I found the info online so wanted to share and answer her question. I don't know much about it either...only what I read just a bit ago!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• So here's what I know from my MIL:

Sabbath is observed Friday at Sundown to Saturday at Sundown. They aren't supposed to enter establisments where money changes hands durring that time.

They're Vegetarians for the most part. They hold the Old Testemant beliefs of the 'un-clean' animals and many just give up meat all together.

They have (had) a prophet. Elen G. White (there's sooooo much more I could write about her but I won't because it WILL be offensive).

My SIL was going to be Baptized into the church but changed her mind when they asked her to sign a contract basically, stating what she will and will not eat, how she will live her life etc.... She changed her mind and found another faith.

My experiences from my MIL and some of her family have not been pleasant. Love my MIL, just don't care for her religion.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks reneek3 for the info. I was curious too. My neighbors are SDA and they are SUPER people. So kind and very much acting in a way that God would be pleased with. As a christian, I didn't see much on there that I disagree with other than the sabbath being saturday. I don't believe that, but other than that....it sounds okay. Now I know why they are so sweet and they eat very naturally.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am SDA. I eat only Kosher foods, but I am not a vegetarian. I'm more progressive in my stance...I'm don't put a lot of stock in EGW. She wrote some pretty good books, though. The Bible is my first, and only authority. You don't sign any contracts when you join the church. You take baptismal vows, but you don't sign anything.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009