Did your milk not come in at all until you actually gave birth and nursed?

I'm almost at my due date and I haven't had any leaks or anything...is that normal?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 12:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it is normal, you will produce coloctrum at first, and your milk will not come in till a day or 2 after the baby is born, but make sure you still nurse and dont suppliment or it will not ever come in fully.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well your milk will not come in until a week or more after giving birth since the first thing the baby gets is colostrum. You MAY leak colostrum before giving birth and you MAY NOT. I did not with either of my chidlren, but I had plenty of colostrum and milk for them!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think so, mine leaked a bit , but be happy yours aren't! ask your doc what did he say?
    when are you due ? sooo exciting? first?
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didn't have milk until I'd given birth, but I did have colustrum. It didn't leak, but I could express some. Usually milk doesn't come in until you've nursed, it's the sucking that stimulates production, but you will probably have some colustrum. It's very rich, fatty pre-milk. It has everything your baby needs for the first few days until your milk comes in.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Some women don't leak at all, others gush. It's normal, and every woman is different.

It takes up to a week after birth to get your milk in, until then you produce colostrum/ liquid gold which is more than enough to satisfy them until your milk comes in :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It took a day or two for mine to come in. I nursed every couple hours but then after nursing had to feed a little formula or my baby just kept crying because she was hungry. I had nothing at first.
    Katieasmom

Answer by Katieasmom at 12:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's normal. I didn't leak at all during either pregnancy. Every woman & pregnancy is different.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• yea that's what I'm worried about Katieasmom, this is my 2nd (my first was 7yrs ago) but I'm worried I won't have anything to feed him when he's born I'm "due" on April 5th
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You will. Babies have enough fat stores to not need more than colostrum in the beginning. Formula is never needed in the hospital, unless you are one of the rare rare women who produces nothing.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• cool, thanks a lot ladies =)
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009