How do I get my 1 year old to eat solids??

My Daughter is turning 1 next week and I still can't get her to eat solid foods. She only wants baby food or yogurt. She can eat stage 3 that has some chunks and she will also feed herself a cookie or those gerber yogurt melts but when it comes to an actual meal, she just screams and throws it onto the floor. I don't know what to do. The doctor says she should be eating finger foods but i've tried everything on the food list she gave me and she won't touch it. I would appreciate any advice.

kar31

Asked by kar31 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try making it fun. Like "avacado boats" :) You can take an ice cube tray and fill each compartment with different types of finger foods, and some dips (including yogurt). You can slice up an avacado, some banana, have some cooked pasta "wheels", etc.

It may take longer for her, but keep trying! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• but her in a high chair and but some food infront of that baby and let her eat and play.( make sure its small bite size for her of course and you play and watch so she want choke) but letting her play and do it herself, is the only way she will ever learn, its going to be messy, but she will get enough and this help her in the long run , both for eating new food, and later for feeding her self. and when you cook, mush her up so table food, like beans, you can put them on the tray and let her do that and every now and then, you sneak one in her mouth, she will spit some of it out but then she will get the idea that she can eat this stuff. GOOD LUCK,
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• try sweet things first, like peaches, cut up seedless grapes, peas, mac and cheese, she can even gum orange slices with your help and your eyes on her, make it fun and messy, you may hav to strip her down to nothing but they make soap for that and you may hav to use som mommy power and to get her attention but it will be worth it in the end.
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• To be honest, my son didn't really start eating alot of solids until age one, He would gag with anything more solid than his baby food. He ate when he was ready, They get plenty of nutrition from baby food, But just keep putting solids in front of him and he will eventually get the hang of it. I would put solids on my sons plate every meal and he eventually started eating them in no time and hasn't stopped since then! He's an eating machine!!! haha. Are you trying different things with your son every time you try and get him to eat? Try tons of different things, And even if its something you don't like always let him try it all. That is the best way to get your baby to eat healthy, if not you may have a picky eater on your hands, My daughter is so picky and it was because I didn't let her try all kinds of different foods, I automatically assumed that since I hated it she wouldn't like it! I know now to let them try everything.
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• thank you all so much. im going to try all your ideas and hope it works:)
    kar31

Answer by kar31 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009