• In the Spotlight:

Did you do anything special?

With your older children before your new baby came along?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 12:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is going to be at the birth but we are making things as special as possible. She is going to pick a new toy for the baby, and we will have a present for her that will be from the new baby.

She is helping pick out new baby things too, like clothes and other items.

I want to take her to the zoo one weekend, as a family thing, before the new baby comes as well. She loves the zoo!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes.. An even now, i take Dude with me sometimes and not JB.. I think they need that extra time with you.. It time the dont have to fight or share attion..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Wait...did someone actually name their kid Dude???????????????????????
    Anonymous

• We spent a lot of time getting her involved in stuff for the baby. She got to do "baby" shopping with me and now I sometimes take her with me shopping, or whatever and not the baby!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes, I read in a Parent Magazine to involve the other children so they don't feel left out. So, my husband and I involved our daughter in things like picking out baby clothes and toys. Also, I made sure to constantly reinforce to my daughter that I loved her very much and I explained to her that her little brother was going to need her to look out for him so I wanted her to know that she played a very important role in his life as well and that this occassion was not just about a "New Baby" but also her becoming a "New Big Sister". That made her really happy. Every kid likes to feel important and special. :o)
    JPS07

Answer by JPS07 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2009