What's the deal?

It seems to be atheists mostly that can't stand overly religious people who "think they're perfect." You know, boasting about how they don't do this or that, they live their life according to the Bible, they think this and that are wrong etc. I notice atheists seem to bash these type of people, but when it's someone who doesn't act like that, and is a Christian you say smart comments like "Aren't you suppose to be like Christ?" "You're not a true Christian." So, what's the deal? Do you just try to find anything wrong with the religion? It seems like you're never pleased no matter what. Just something I've noticed on cafemom. Not a "true christian?" That's like saying you're not a "true atheist."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP here. I know A LOT of different religions can't stand overly religious people, what I mean is that particularly atheists, seem to have a problem with an overly religious christian or not religious enough christian, either way they go you have a problem with it.
    Anonymous

• People want tolerance but they don't dish it. There's way too much bashing here on CafeMom.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm not an athiest, but I do understand where a lot of the comments are coming from. There seem to be a lot of people claiming to be Christians on here who do not show a lot of Christian values. There's the "holier than thou" people who apparently have never sinned, even in thought, and there's the super judgemental people who because they attend church and consider themselves to be good Christians feel that they have the right to pass judgement on everyone else. In either case, all they are doing is turning people off of religion, and in my opinion not being "true Christians", certainly not showing true Christian values and giving a positive example of what Christianity is/should be.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'd like to add that people often think that when a Christian points out a sin, they're judging. That's not true.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well, I think its a little of everything. SO many moms who are christians will go to great lengths to tell others they are sinning. Either because they think they are supposed to or it makes them feel better about themselves. Either way, its not right. Then I think that there are lots of atheists ( not all) that find christianity offensive to them and they go out of their way to make it known. So...no one group of people is particularly innocent in this battle. I dont tell anyone that what they are doing is considered sin in Gods eyes, unless they ask for my opinion. Then I will be honest. I don't think its my place at all and its certainly not my place to tell someone that is not a christian that they are not right with God. This is an area that as a christian, I have to be led by the Holy Spirit. I have to tread lightly because if the heart is not open, then it will drive them further away. They need to see it work in me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Christians are always criticising our lifestyle choices.  Trying to scare us with the idea of hell because we don't live up to their biblical standards.  The irony is that these browbeating Christians don't live up to that standard either. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Not all Atheists are like that. I'm not. Just like you get the Christians that like to pick fights and rile things up, the same holds true for Atheists or any other group of people for that matter.
    Don't judge the masses by the few that have pissed you off ;)
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I consider it a judgment; because declaring something is a sin is judging it as such even if you are talking only about the "sin" & not the person. I don't personally have much issue with that when it comes to things deemed sins that I believe are wrong such as murder or stealing. But, there are thing professed to be sins that I don't find wrong in the least such as homosexuality & "worshipping other Gods"; and there really is no way in my opinion to seperate the judgment from the declarationof something being sinnful when you are someone that doesn't follow the same assesment of what a sin is.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Not Christians are out to start a fight. Not all Atheists are out to start a fight.

I try to not pass judgment on anyone and I try to ignore those that tell me I'm not "Christ like" enough for them - and this comes from both Christians and Atheists alike no matter what their belief.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Plenty of Christians are hypocrites, and plenty of so-called "atheists aren't true atheists (they just hate Christianity).

That's the way it is.  People are always going to find some way to argue.  Human nature.

I refuse to get worked up over it.

Anonymous