How do you get pickie kids to eat real food?

I have twin boys and they only eat: pizza, hot dogs, bolgna, fried chicken, but I can't get them to eat nothing else oh yeah pan cakes, but other than that I'm @ a lost please help.

5men

Asked by 5men at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• This is how you get your children to eat all foods..Make them some food,,whatever you want..Put it on a plate and put the plate in front of them. Then tell them if you do not eat that,, you will not get anything else to eat tell the next meal.. The kids will not starve. Trust me..They will start eating the food. But you have to be firm,,not letting them eat anything between meals.

Answer by louise2 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• LOL...to the poster above. Not being mean or anything like that. But, please know...this DOES NOT WORK with ALL kids! This would NOT work with my 5 year old. He WOULD let himself starve! I guarantee it!

To the OP...I'm not sure what age your sons are, but I came across this idea in a magazine. {it won't work on my son, but maybe you'll have luck with yours!} They start with circles cut out of construction paper. The first one you add caterpillar features. Then for each new food your boys try, they add a circle to the caterpillar. They can write the date, what food it was, if they liked it or not, etc.

You can have a reward, if you would like, if they get so many circles added on.

Good luck, and know that there are others out there having "food fights" as well! LOL!
    momneedscoffee

Answer by momneedscoffee at 3:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• MY PARENTS WOULD MAKE US SIT AND WE COULD NOT GET UP UNTIL WE FINISH THE FOOD AND IF IT WAS TIME TO SLEEP THE NEXT DAY MY MOM WOULD COOK SOMETHING WITH THE SAME FOR ME IS SPANISH I HATE EATING IT I STILL DO BUT I TRY BECAUSE I KNOW IS GOOD FOR ME AND MY DAUGHTER LOOK TO SEE WHAT I LIKE AND WHAT I DONT
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If it's something I know they don't like (my 3 yr old tried spinach and threw up) I don't make them eat it and just give them more of something else that I've fixed. If I make something I know one of them doesn't like I give them an option of something else that I will make. One hates chicken parmesan while everyone else loves it so I will make her spaghetti when I make the chicken parmesan. The sause is the same and I just add italian sausage or hamburger to it and boil some noodles. Doesn't take long. If it's something they haven't tried or they're just being picky---they ate it last week. I give them an option of eating it or they can have a peanut butter sandwich. No jelly, no chips. They can exercise this option once a week. Otherwise they eat what I put in front of them or they can wait until the next meal. If make a happy plate they get dessert. If they eat PB or don't make a happy plate they don't get dessert.
    melnstephen

Answer by melnstephen at 7:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have also sent them to bed with no dinner if they refuse to try something. You have to try new things. Your tastes change every 7 years or so. My oldest didn't eat meat until she was 15. My middle eats more meat than anything if I let her and the youngest isn't fond of meat. The oldest just wouldn't eat it. She tried and hated it. She didn't even like the meat flavored baby food. The youngest will eat a few bites but prefers the rest of the meal so I don't put more than a few bites on her plate and she'll eat it.

My father in law said everyone had to eat what mom fixed. He loved liver, the kids hated it but had to eat it because dad said so. Mom would make spaghetti for them to eat with the liver so they'd get it down. I won't do something like that.
    melnstephen

Answer by melnstephen at 7:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm a picky eater and have, unfortunately caused my kids to become picky eaters. So, once a week, we all three try something new together. Now, here's the trick- we do it with our backs turned to each other and write down on a 1-3 scale how much we liked it. This way, nobody else's opinion affects the other (my son will actually admit to liking foods his older sister doesn't). Also, I bought a baby food grinder and have started sneaking some things in, like carrots in our spaghetti sauce (you can't even taste it). The kids ask why there's carrots in the fridge (nobody likes them), and I say they're to take to Grandma's bunny. It's kinda crazy, but we're slowly starting to eat more healthy foods. Also, you can work on the foods they already eat: low-fat hot dogs (Hebrew National 97 fat free), whole wheat white bread, Heartsmart bisquick, grilled chicken... Good luck, we'll be battling with you!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• we do the "this is what is for supper, eat it or go to bed" routine. we have 4 kids, and it works. my MIL had 14 kids, and that was what she did, and no one died of starvation. it is a battle of the wills to begin with, but i promise anyone, your child may go hungry for longer than you would like, but they will get the point and live through it. dont make a big deal about it, just be casual. they will not get fretful about having to eat if they see you not freaking out about them not eating. (if all that makes sense) and like the mom above, i dont MAKE the kids eat something i know they truly dont like. my 7 yr old does not eat sour cream. but she will eat about anything else you put in front of her...if they wont eat a meal, the plate goes in the fridge and they get if for breakfast the next day.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• They can only eat what you buy and fix--start fixing good stuff and if they go hungry--let them. Pickiness about food is really a selfish attitude and really needs to be worked on. Again--two choices--either eat it or go hungry. I don't believe in making a kid eat everything on his plate and such, but I would never fix different food for one kid or kids than what I planned for the family.
    Most parents cause this problem and then wonder why jr only wants garbage??!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would not feed my kids hot dogs, bologna, and friend chicken is full of fat!!! They develop tastes for what you fix them----hot dogs and bologna are NOT real food!!! Yuck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I could use some help myself on this one. I have a 2 year old all she will eat is chicken nugget, pancakes w/ sprinkles, and fruit snacks. And occasionally ice cream. I have litterally tried everything from the not letting her eat anything untill she ate real food(she went 2 whole days without eating) to not letting her move til she eats(she would fall asleep from sitting there so long). Nothing i have found has worked. I am a big lady but i dont eat junk food, i eat a lot of food real food, so i dont know why she is like this.
    skylajacobmom

Answer by skylajacobmom at 1:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2009