Why do you want your original birth certificate

I am asking this question out of pure curiousity and not to cause problems. I just dont get it. I see the answer written as "Well you have yours"... and I do but it isnt exactly something that I cherish, I regard it in the same way I regard my high school diploma, my drivers lic., my SS card, etc, it is simply a legal document. As long as you have A birthcert, why do you care about the original? I can see fighting for open records as an adoptee deserves to know all of the history, but I just dont understand the significance of getting the original if you already know the info that is on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Adoption

• Our daughter has hers and we will honor that paper and the history behind it. It also establishes trust surrounding her adoption. That we did not hide any information. We don't know the birthfather and it says so on the cirtificate. So we don't have to explain. That paper supports our information we pass on to her. She must feel at times that there is information being kept from her. Of course there is. But not by us. She needs to know and understand that what we know she knows. The woman who is listed as her mother does have the answers. That is the person I direct her to ask questions that are not mine to answer. Also the city she was born in she has biological family. That hospital and city contain her familial history. I wouldn't change that. I am glad I have us on her current cirtificate but her actual one given at birth is equally as important.
    Anonymous

• some don't know the info on it and want to know where they came from.
    Anonymous

• I needed mine because when my bio-Father died, I was left money and I had to prove who I was in order to get the money. I did manage to get my original birth certificate. My name, first and last, was changed and I had to have the original to receive what my bio dad had left me. He didn't know what my name had been changed to.
    Anonymous

• because its a connection..on paper..a tangiable proof you once exsisted as your birthmoms child legally.
    Anonymous

• I can see why my children might one day want to at least see theirs. They were born to another woman and had different names given to them by her. That's almost like being someone else a long time ago. No where in our court documents are their birth names mentioned, it just refers to "infant female." So I can imagine them wanting to see proof documenting their real birth to their birthmother. They do have legal birth certificates, but they're not really a document recording their birth since I didn't actually give birth to them. Some people may not care one snit about a birth certificate, but to others it's a tangible link to their origins. It's like having your existence acknowledged.

MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 3:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You really got me thinking over here.
    In order for my daughter to get her birth certificate (after her adoption) we had to mail in her original birthcertificate...
    I can see why you would want to see your original birth certificate...as a matter of fact I am going to
    find out if it is possible for me to get my DD's original one...
    good luck
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I just called the state that my dd was born in....
    I nor my dd nor her birthmother can get a copy of her original birthcertificate..
    the only way my daughter can get a copy is when she is 25 years old and has signed approved papers from her birthmother and birthfather...In the state of Nebraska it is closed..
    BS....and I never had an original said the nasty women on the phone from Nebraska, it was just
    a copy from the hospital...
    You try to get your copy, I think everyone should beable to have that!!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• HISTORY TO SEE IT AND TO SHOW MY DAUGHTER WHEN SHE GROWS UP
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't know if it's different from state to state, but I was informed by vital statistics that an individual can only have one birth certificate on file with vital statistics and as soon as paperwork is filed for a birth certificate after adoption, the ORIGINAL is destroyed. It is legally as though the birthmother never gave birth, as there is absolutely no record of it.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 6:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• for many of us that are adopted, there is a sense of a loss of our past...or at least a disruption. Our real birth certificate could feel like tangible evidence of our past....a link that is indisputable. for me it is my history and a reminder of who I am and where I came from. You may not see it as something to cherish but for me, I do cherish it because it connects me to my past and my biological parents.
    mottie79

Answer by mottie79 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009