What are some reasons a woman could not have breastfed?

I'm not trying to start a "war". I'm actually being sincere.
My hubby's mother was never able to breastfeed. Her milk never came in.

As a matter of fact.. she didn't even know she was pregnant until she gave birth. She never showed! It's a good thing she caught him.

I've heard of some women never showing. Kind of crazy right!?

But I was wondering why she could never bf. I didn't want to ask. Is there some kind of condition or something that prevents this? She's had no surgeries or anything.. just wondering...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• My grandmother has a breast absyss and couldn't feed. I was in agony and couldn't seem to get the latch fixed so I went to formula. My dd wasn't gaining weight and I was afraid to hold her. I felt it was best for both of us physcially and emotionally to use formula and bond instead. A co-worker had a breast infection that requried surgery and couldn't breastfeed as a result.
    Anonymous

• One good reason.
    Women did not want to.

Answer by louise2 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I breastfed 2 out of 3 of my kids. I couldn't BF my middle one because she was born with a broken collar bone and when I tried to hold her in that position she would just cry because it hurt to bad and she wouldn't drink.
    Anonymous

• So it seems that your mil did not produce milk. I don't know why that would be, but given that her pregnancy was unusual, maybe it's related to that. She probably doesn't know why herself, it would have just been chalked up to not having any milk. There are all kinds of medical reasons in both mom and baby that makes it impossible or at least not the best choice to bf'd. Did she have other babies? And did she successfully bf'd them?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I tried breast feeding. I was able to breast feed sucessfuly for a full month then my milk started to dry. I tried using a hand pump to up the milk production and made sure I drunk plenty of water but no matter what I did the milk dried completely by the time she was 3 months. I was able to BF a little but not that much.
    KristiNicole09

Answer by KristiNicole09 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I tried but couldn't produce enough milk, and when I did I had more coming out of one side than the other, I know alot of women who can't.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i tried to breastfeed but my milk just never seemed to come in. i would try to get my dd to nurse and she would get frustrated because nothing was happening. and when id pump itd take about 2 hours to get 3 oz.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 1:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'll post anon for obvious reasons, but my question to all that "couldn't" BF... what if this was "back in the day" and you "couldn't" breastfeed? Your baby would have DIED. Think you'd try harder and find that, viola, in fact you COULD breastfeed if that was the case? I would bet that the percentage of those that REALLY and TRULY could NOT breastfeed is a very very low number, and the women that "gave it up when it got too hard" is more often the case.
    Anonymous

• **OP HERE**

she had a previous pregnancy but i'm not sure what happened.. miscarriage or baby died soon after birth.. my hubby didn't even know that. =( but he is her only child.
    Anonymous

• ALSO,

maybe the women i'm asking are the ones who happen to be in that "percentage/very, very low number"

which is WHY i'm asking. i'd like to keep an open mind...
    Anonymous