my son is a yr old and has to get a chest xray,is it safe for my child?????please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they would not do unnessacary tests on your child. My daughter is 20 months and just had one, She has pnemonia, it will be ok, I know its scary, but really it will be...
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes b/c it's more safe than them having an undiagnoes condition. Theyr'e not going to order a test that will damage your child.
    Anonymous

• they will cover his genitals with a lead pad to protect that area. he might have to lie down. On the chance of either stand up or lying down, try practicing by playing a game of 'quiet picture' with arms at side and also at top of head and being quiet while picture clicks til done. I would suggest though if there's any way to get it done with a radiologist who's well practiced in pediatrics to do that. Extreme compassion and patience is needed for such a young age. I've found places that deal mostly with adults are more serious and quiet, sometmes offsetting to my kids. This will help baby get better though. Remember that.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is perfectly safe. They will use a lower-radiation form of x-ray. DD had to had x-rays done when she was about the same age. It's never fun, but it is perfectly safe.

Where we went had a DVD player and a TV over the table so they could play a favorite movie while they took the X-Ray. Find out if you can bring a favorite from home. Also, they let you stay in there and hold their hand most of the time, to comfort the child.

It's not fun, like I said, but it can be a tolerable experience.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't think they would do it if it wasn't safe. My daughter had to have a chest x-ray when she was only 3 weeks old..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son had chest x-rays at 7 months - they have a special unit for young kids (he had to stand up supported by the machine), and he's still alive to this day, fully functional. Scary for the little ones, but safe.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son had a chest x-ray at 6 weeks old, they did cover his genitals with a lead apron. Since he was so little I had to hold him up in a sitting position with his arms over his head. I had to wear the apron too. It's totally safe :) They use baby safe "dosages" x-ray waves.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 3:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son has x-rays every 6 months. It's safe and quick.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's safer than it would be for him to walk around with something undiagnosed because he did not have the x-ray.
    kelfr25

Answer by kelfr25 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Perfectly normal and safe! They do many chest x-rays for upper respiratory infections to make sure it's not pneumonia---The only person it could hurt is you and only if (you may be pregnant) that is why they give us mommies those nice little radiation robes to put on lol. Hope this helps :-) Don't worry about it mommy! It's a normal part of life, and it's probably not the last chest x-ray your child will have.
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2009