Would you stay with a man who has been promising to marry you for 15 years?

My friend(was hoping she'd be my sister-in-law one day) is still waiting for my brother-in-law to marry her. Every year he say" this is the year" until she piss him off

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Not to be mean...by right after I read your post I laughed...
    If marriage was important to me, no I would have never waited that long..
    I would be gone.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ummmm...that's just a little long in my opinion. if after 15 years, they still aren't sure, I'd say it's time to look for another potential mate(for both of them). LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free is what my dad always said lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't know. I originally didn't want to remarry, but my current husband convinced me since we wanted kids it would be better to be married. Right now, I would say if children are not part of the package, marriage is not necessary for happiness.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I told my husband when we became engaged that we have to get married in six months. No long engagements here. We were married four months later. Get married or get off the pot. Tell that to your brotherinlaw. Tell your friend to see a counsellor. It's gone on long enough with no moving forward. If she's living with him this length of time even as common law her rights are more limited than being a wife should he die.
    Anonymous

• If I wanted to get married & he didn't after 15 years I would definitely leave. He will never marry her. Why should he? He's already getting the milk from the cow. She should go into therapy & figure out why she is staying & not finding a man who wants to marry her. Poor girl! Sorry to say it but your brother should grow up & be honest with her. What a creep.

Anonymous

• I supposed it depends on what she hopes marriage is going to give her.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• One of my very good friends was sort of in the same situation. After 8 years she decided that if he wasn't ready to get married she would leave. She left. Within a few weeks he was regretting it, and 3 months later they flew to Hawaii and got married, and when they got back she moved back in with him. They don't have kids and never plan on having any.
    Anonymous

• I have a friend like this, kept demanding to get married for years, they're a great couple, but she kept insisting, but for whatever reason this loyal, devoted and monogomous provider of a man wouldn't pull the trigger. It caused fight after fight after fight after fight, year after year after year. Somehow it dawned on her one day... they are rock solid, they own a home together, they have a baby together, they are in it forever, she let go of the need for the piece of paper and has been focusing on their lives together instead of that stupid piece of paper and have been living happily ever after. Not for everyone, I know, but please, they've been together 15 years, what more of a committment does she need? If it was THAT important to her, she would have left 12 years ago, kwim? I think she should let it go.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ya he is just being greedy if you ask me.... Sooo ya she should just leave. That will fix his little red wagon.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009