Gratitude?!?! What's that?

Need I say more?

How do I show my children why they should be greatful for what they have and what others do for them? They are not spoiled by any means, but they do not appreciate anything, what am I doing wrong?

Iheartmamahood

Asked by Iheartmamahood at 1:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have kids like that too. I have one that is especially demanding. I think that teaching not only to have a servants heart, but also making them actually SERVE others will help. I am going to try to do this more. I think that we as parents just automatically go into a lifestyle like everyone elses where our kids get lots of cmas presents and birthday stuff and have to have the latest video games and even though they are good kids and arent really spoiled brats, its still too much. I think we have taken the wrong perspective on whats TOO much. We forget to teach them to serve one another and let them see other places and homes where kids don't have as much as they do. After a weekend trip with my almost 11 yr old daughter, I realized that something has to change with her. Shes entirely too demanding and selfish and I guess I didn't realize it because we stay in routine all week. I was very disappointed in her behavior.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• don't let them be rude to each other and when someone is rude to them remind them of it. have them do some kind of volunteer work even in the neighborhood. maybe they should do with out a few things til they earn it with respect to humankind. I was bullied when I was a kid so I made sure that self respect from infancy was understood and practiced amongst my kids and others. Somehow have them practice in day to day life the respect you preach instead of you just preaching respect.
    Anonymous

• By example first. Then if they are planning a birthday party, on the invitations, have them write "in leiu of gifts to me, please donate to such and such group". Or they can choose 3 gifts from their party to give away.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009