My little girl is 3 1/2 and will not go to the potty!!! I have tried everything! She is content with peeing in her panties or diaper. Please help!

I have tried rewarding with the sticker chart-yah-that will work if she is in the mood to tell me that she needs to potty.

leslieishappy

Asked by leslieishappy at 1:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you can stand the floor being messy then I recommend having her go without panties. I did that with my daughter and at the end of one week, she was potty trained.
    Anonymous

• I'm in the same boat. My oldest is almost 3 and he hates going in the potty. We live with family so I can't do the no underwear thing.. We have tried rewards also. Keep your positive thoughts & remember it will happen when the time is right!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Right there with you. It's so frustrating. My daughter holds it in when she wears underwear. She will scream for a diaper when it gets too painful. Rewards don't work. I'm waiting for her to tell me when she's ready, but I don't think it's ever going to happen!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son will be 3 next month and its a big NO for him as well. Hes not interested in going. He loves to tell me when I am peeing but he wont do it. I can understand your frustration at being 3 1/2 and not being PT. Hang in there. It sounds like your doing everything right. The rewards especially.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have a son who will be 5 in September and still isn't PT, and he's not showing any interest in it either. He has an ASD (Autsim Spectrum Disorder) that holds him back too, so I don't feel to bad about it. But I do have some advice that may work for some of you. Make sure that the child has an adult of the same gender that they can "follow" into the bathroom. Sometimes, I know we hate to admit it ladies, but it works better for a boy to watch a man go. Htey get the idea of how it's done better. You can also try putting a potty chair right there in the room that they play in most often. Slowly move it until it is in the bathroom. I know it may take a while, but you'll get there. Also, for the mom whos daughter seems to like being in wet or soiled underwear, have you thought about a sensory intergration problem? With these problems, children prefer the feel of wet cloth on their skin. Cont.....
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We also need to remember that the bathroom can be a scary place. Make sure your child isn't scared b/c of the sound of the toilet fluching ect. That's all I have for now. Hope this helps someone.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son will be 3 in June and will only go potty when he feels like it. Ive realized that pull ups do not work. My son will usually go if he is in underwear and is at home throughout the day with either me or my husband. But as soon as we have to go back to work He refuses to go potty for our babysitter. Just keep taking them to potty and sitting them on it even if they dont go. Eventually it will click and they will start going.
    kathycompton

Answer by kathycompton at 3:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• A couple things to try:
    (1) Bare bottom. If she will go in her pants regardless of what is on her butt, then don't put anything on her butt. That's what finally worked for my daughter... but your results may vary!
    (2) Don't expect her to ask. She's not enthusiastic about the process so why put the burden of remembering to go on her? Set a timer for 2 hours and when it goes off simply tell her that it is time to go. If she pees, reset the timer for 2 hours. If she doesn't, reset it for 1 hour. Keep doing this until she starts going to the bathroom without any prompting from you and stays dry for at least 4 days in a row. Remember - telling you she has to go means she must be willing to leave her toys and stop playing. That's hard for a young child to do.
    (3) Have her clean up the messes. She can scrap poop into the potty, she can clean and mop the floor. You can follow up with disinfectant.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My oldest was nervous in the bathroom and I gave him cookies on the toilet so he would sit still. the longer he sat the more cookies he got. My daughter (3 yrs) has been asking for pullups. I got so frustrated the other day when I ran out and didn't have a chance to go to the store to get more. I told her they were all gone and she better not wet her pants. It's been 5 days and nights, not one accident. I guess she just needed to be told to stop it. Odds are it won't work for everyone, but it did for me.

I swear if I had gone to the store to get more she would still be doing it.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 6:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and was potty trained when she was 2 and on her third birthday she started to have accidents or what i thought were accidents but I had a another baby and I for a long time I thought that it was because of the baby,My baby is a year old now and she continues to have problems I am to my wit's end to Nothing seems to be working I have tried evry method I can think of and done every thing orther people have advced me,But I am not giving up! I am keeping my chin up!
    03littleangels

Answer by 03littleangels at 7:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009