8 month old won't sleep in crib through the night

My son just turned 8months last week and once he wakes up during the night in his crib he refuses to go back to sleep unless I take him out of his crib and let him sleep with in the bed with my husband and I. It's becoming a problem and now my husband has to sleep on the couch every time this happens. How do I cure my son of this?

JPS07

Asked by JPS07 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son doesnt do this all the time, but he does it. He just turned 8mos too. Its really not him refusing its me being too tired to stay awake and wait, lol..You just have to leave him in his crib, DONT GIVE IN TO HIM OR IT WILL JUST GET WORSE. i know its hard to do but you have to, weve all had to at some point
    landonsmommy709

Answer by landonsmommy709 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Is this a new development or something that's been going on since the beginning? If you don't want to try letting him cry it out, you could try giving him your nightshirt when you go in to him. That way he feels your presence. Another thing you could try is make sure you're not nursing him directly to sleep at the beginning of the night. Nurse him with lights on, then read him a book and say good night (I sing a song to my daughter in the dark before putting her in her crib). She just talks her self to sleep most nights. That makes them less likely to be looking for you when he wakes up and may be able to put himself back to sleep without getting worked up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• don't pick him up! He will learn that you are not gonna pick him up and he will go back to sleep. it may take a couple of nights, maybe even a week or two, but babies are smart and he will learn. and i agree with what emily said about not letting him fall asleep so he is looking for you when he wakes up. i think that might be a little scary if i were a baby too...
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009