• In the Spotlight:

Wrong choice or what?

so my sister has a special needs child.... she is very slow but I think a bit lazy to. she is in my sons class 4th grade and he says she dont listen to the teacher. my sis thinks the school needs to get her an AID to assist her but they wont. well here is the problem sis isnt very bright either and neither is her hubby. Seems like they both got the short end of the stick but they are telling the teachers that they are pulling my niece and her sister out of school next year and home schooling them. I wouldnt have a problem but I know how the parents are. my sis is no good at spelling math or comprehending things. her youngest is in 2nd grade and very smart right now. Im afraid these kids will be deprived of a descent education. She has no patience even with helping them with their homework. Anyone agree that she is making the wrong choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, it doesnt sound like shes going to be able to give the kids a decent homeschooling experience all by herself. If shes planning on doing this alone, then yes, I might question her choice, but in the end...its still her choice. BUT there are things you can help reccomend to her to help the kids. Ask her about cirriculum and what shes going to use. Encourage her to get involved in a co op so that other parents can help her too. Also see if there is information about homeschooling help for special needs kids. Homeschooling doesnt mean that you have to do ALL the teaching. It just means that you take responsibility for your kids education instead of the school system. However she needs to get the job done correctly, then she needs to do it. If you feel that shes not going about this the right way, then challenge her with questions about these things. Maybe she will rethink this.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They are her kids, but maybe you should try to tell her get over her anger with the school and point the good things out and why home schooling might not be the best idea, ( In nice words) tell her the time she will have to have to home school and try to get her thinking of whats best for the kids not herself maybe swiching the one daughter to a slower pased class.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm sorry, I agree with you, both a special needs child and a gifted child need VERY sharp teachers to keep on top of what is going on with them. It doesn't sound like your sister or her husband will be able to do this. In addition these children, maybe more than others, will need extra socialization they would get at school, that their parents may not be as able to readily provide as other home-schoolers. Homeschooling takes an unbelievable amount of time, energy and dedication, and grasp of what to teach, and how to teach it, to say nothing of being able to do the subject matter herself on the teacher's part... Most worrysome is the younger one who might be held back by the situation of being homeschooled by two, not exceptionally bright parents, who might be more interested in teaching to the older child's level. Maybe you could suggest that she only homeschool the older one on a trial basis, "just to see how it works".
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Judging by your spelling, you aren't too bright, either. Perhaps you should mind your own business.

Hurts when others judge you, doesn't it?
    Anonymous

• I see you didn't want to put your name on your snide little post, Anon :00
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sorry, but they are her kids and their education is her decision. It may not be what you would do but it is her right to educate her children as she wishes. She may do better at the home schooling than you are assuming and she has to register with the state that she is home schooling in. It's not your business so leave it alone. Concentrate on your own children.

To anon :00., I like how you think.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• So, you say your sister's child is slow and lazy, and your sister and her husband aren't very bright? Still, it isn't your place to decide how they chose to educate their children. The choice is theirs, and for all you know they may find a wonderful homeschool program that will work well for them. *shrug*

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• 4:00 anon I didnt ask for any smart ass remarks and If I spelled something wrong why dont you tell me what it is. Just to let you know I made honor roll in school -all through school so why dont you leave your snooty remarks out. I was just asking for other peoples opinions like everyone else in here I wasnt trying to be judgemental just trying to say it like it is so how can you say im judging when you dont know who im talking about and I have known her for 34 years.I will judge you YOU ARE RUDE!!!!!
    Anonymous

• It takes a lot of comitment to home school your kids properly, if she doesn't have the patience to get through homework then there is no way those kids are going to get a good education. She needs to think about her kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2009