Ever disquise an ugly light fixture because you rent and can't replace it ?

I rent and I cant replace this ugly light fixture it is not even retro cute it is maybe 1960 ugly ugly ugly , It is round metal beige with diamond cut outs and hangs from a gold chain . If I wrap some greenery around the chain I still need to fabricate a shade or something to cover it and the ugly cap type top on the ceiling
I am using red and black accents to try to dull the rental white walls and floor The apliances are black

CSRodriguez

Asked by CSRodriguez at 1:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I had gone as far as getting a new one and using it while I lived there and then putting the old one back up when I left. Just an idea.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Why can't you replace it? I never even asked my landlord to change out a boring fixture in the dining room. I just kept the original to put it back when I move out.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Same here! In fact the place I had been renting, the landlord offered to BUY the fixtures from me when I moved out--so I got to enjoy my living space, and got a little refund when I left--a win-win! The landlord also approved of me painting the walls (he let me pick from among a dozen or so colors), and putting up border paper!

I would ask the landlord. I should think he would WANT a happy renter, who is going to make tasteful improvements! Remind him that he's going to have to re-paint the walls when you do move out, pre-pasted border paper is easy to remove (just re-wet it) and fixtures can be removed, or become part of the unit.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• there is a no alteration paragraph in my lease
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 7:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We have changed fixtures here (we rent) - we have the old ones stored in a closed to put back up when we leave. Just make sure that the fixture you chose to replace it needs a hole about the same size as the original.

If you're REALLY worried about it, ask your landlord if they would mind. Most of the time, if it's something they think may increase the value of the house, they're okay with it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2009